No. 3 Stanford Defeats Women's Tennis, 6-1
March 10, 2003
STANFORD, Calif. - The No. 26 Arizona women's tennis team fell to the third-ranked Stanford Cardinal Saturday at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium, 6-1. The Wildcats fall to 4-5 on the season, 0-4 in the Pac-10.
At the No. 1 doubles spot, Arizona's duo of graduate student Emilie Scribot and sophomore Dianne Hollands fell to Stanford's top-ranked team of Lauren Barnikow and Erin Burdette, 8-5. In the second position, junior Debbie Larocque and sophomore Maja Mlakar were defeated by Alice Barnes and Amber Liu, 8-2. The Cardinal swept the doubles competition with Emilia Anderson and Story Tweedie-Yates' win over sophomore Kelly Perry and freshman Kristy Randono, 8-3.
In singles action, Mlakar lost in the No. 1 spot to Amber Liu, 6-7(4), 7-5, 1-0(6). No. 46 Scribot recorded the Cats' only win of the competition with an upset in the second spot over No. 26 Lauren Barnikow, 6-1, 6-4. Hollands fell in the third spot to Erin Burdette, 7-5, 6-2, and Larocque lost in the fourth spot to Alice Barnes, 6-3, 6-1. In the fifth position, Perry was defeated by Emilia Anderson, 6-2, 6-2, and Randono also lost in the sixth position to Story Tweedie-Yates, 6-2, 6-1.
The Wildcat women's tennis team will hit the road again March 15 to take on Fresno State, followed by a home match versus Florida International on March 18.
1. Amber Liu (STAN) def. Maja Mlakar (UA), 6-7(4), 7-5, 1-0(6)
2. Emilie Scribot (UA) def. Lauren Barnikow (STAN), 6-1, 6-4
3. Erin Burdette (STAN) def. Dianne Hollands (UA), 7-5, 6-2
4. Alice Barnes (STAN) def. Debbie Larocque (UA), 6-3, 6-1
5. Emilia Anderson (STAN) def. Kelly Perry (UA), 6-2, 6-2
6. Story Tweedie-Yates (STAN) def. Kristy Randono (UA), 6-2, 6-1
1. Barnikow/Burdette (STAN) def. Hollands/Scribot (UA), 8-5
2. Barnes/Liu (STAN) def. Mlakar/Larocque (UA), 8-2
3. Anderson/Tweedie-Yates (STAN) def. Perry/Randono (UA), 8-3
TODAY | 11:00am PTLive
TODAY | 2:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive