Women's Tennis Loses Tight Match to Washington
March 15, 2003
SEATTLE - The No. 35 Oregon women's tennis team fell short against No. 21 Washington, 4-3, Saturday in Seattle. The Ducks (9-8, 1-6) lost to the Huskies (10-1, 1-0), 6-1, earlier this season, and while they narrowed the gap, they could not quite come away with the win.
'We played a very good match today,' head coach Nils Schyllander said. 'We were right there, and hopefully we'll come out on top tomorrow.'
Things started out perfectly for the Ducks as they swept all three doubles matches. Courtney Nagle and Daria Panova, ranked No. 28 in the nation, knocked off the No. 9-ranked tandem of Claire Carter and Darija Klaic at the No. 1 position, 8-5. Monika Gieczys and Jamie Marshall, playing together for the first time, won for Oregon at No. 2, 8-4. Ester Bak and Anna Leksinska completed the sweep at No. 3, 8-6.
'It was definitely the best doubles we have played all year,' Schyllander said. 'That was really good to see.'
The Ducks were only able pull out two matches in singles play, led by Panova at No. 1. No. 18 Panova defeated No. 36 Carter, 7-5, 2-6, 1-0 (10-5). It marked the third time this season that Panova has beaten Carter. Freshman Anna Leksinska picked up Oregon's other victory at the No. 6 position, 6-3, 6-7, 1-0 (10-8).
Oregon will play No. 40 Washington State Sunday at noon in Pullman, Wash.
1. No. 18 Daria Panova (UO) def. No. 36 Claire Carter (UW), 7-5, 2-6, 1-0 (10-5)
2. No. 87 Dea Sumantri (UW) def. No. 40 Courtney Nagle (UO), 1-6, 6-3, 6-3
3. No. 95 Darija Klaic (UW) def. Monika Gieczys (UO), 6-2, 6-3
4. Erin Boisclair (UW) def. Jamie Marshall (UO), 6-1, 1-2 ret.
5. Colleen Gray (UW) def. Ester Bak (UO), 6-1, 6-3
6. Anna Leksinska (UO) def. Dinka Hadzic (UW), 6-3, 6-7, 1-0 (10-8)
1. No. 28 Nagle/Panova (UO) def. No. 9 Carter/Klaic (UW), 8-5
2. Gieczys/Marshall (UO) def. Gray/Sumantri (UW), 8-4
3. Bak/Leksinska (UO) def. Boisclair/Hadzic (UW), 8-6
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 4:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 12:00pm PTLive