Women's Tennis Edges Washington State on the Road
March 16, 2003
PULLMAN, Wash. - The No. 35 Oregon women's tennis team fought through injuries and sickness to defeat No. 40 Washington State, 4-3, Sunday afternoon. The Ducks (10-8, 2-6) won the doubles point and three singles matches to defeat the Cougars for the second time this season.
'I'm just so proud of our team,' head coach Nils Schyllander said. 'We're dealing with so much adversity right now. It just shows the strength of our team.'
The No. 28 tandem of Courtney Nagle and Daria Panova continued its impressive play with an 8-6 victory at No. 1 to get things going for the Ducks. Monika Gieczys and Julie Merle won at No. 2, 8-6, to clinch the doubles point for Oregon.
In singles action, the first four matches went to three sets, with each team winning two. No. 18-ranked Panova and No. 40-ranked Nagle, each dealing with nagging injuries, lost their singles matches at No. 1 and No. 2, respectively. Gieczys won at No. 3, 7-6, 3-6, 6-3, while Ester Bak battled back at No. 4 to win, 3-6, 7-5, 6-4.
'Ester was down a set and 3-0 in the second,' Schyllander said. 'It just shows the never-give-up attitude she has. She never quit.'
Merle, who filled in for injured fellow freshman Jamie Marshall in the singles lineup, defeated Zsofi Fodor, 6-3, 6-2, to clinch the match at the No. 6 position. Merle joined captain Gieczys as the only Duck to win both of her matches on the day.
'Julie did a great job stepping up today to win the match for us,' Schyllander said.
The Ducks will next play No. 38 Virginia on the road Monday March 24. Oregon will also play Virginia Tech and No. 23 Virginia Commonwealth on the trip.
No. 35 Oregon defeats No. 40 Washington State, 4-3.
SINGLES1. Orsolya Sallai (WSU) def. No. 18 Daria Panova (UO), 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
2. Lorena Arias (WSU) def. No. 40 Courtney Nagle (UO), 6-3, 0-6, 6-2
3. Monika Gieczys (UO) def. Chris Martinez (WSU), 7-6, 3-6, 6-3
4. Ester Bak (UO) def. Nora Gaal (WSU), 3-6, 7-5, 6-4
5. Zorana Roganovic (WSU) def. Anna Leksinska (UO), 6-4, 6-3
6. Julie Merle (UO) def. Zsofi Fodor (WSU), 6-3, 6-2
1. No. 28 Nagle/Panova (UO) def. Arias/Martinez (WSU), 8-6
2. Gieczys/Merle (UO) def. Sallai/Stefanchuk (WSU), 8-6
3. Fodor/Gaal (WSU) def. Bak/Leksinska (UO), 8-5