Top-Ranked Women's Tennis Defeats South Alabama, 5-2
March 19, 2003
LOS ANGELES - The top-ranked USC women's tennis team collected its ninth consecutive victory with a 5-2 win over 15th-ranked South Alabama on Wednesday, March 19, at Marks Tennis Stadium. The Women of Troy improve to 14-1 overall, while the Jaguars drop to 13-4.
USC began by sweeping all three doubles matches for the first point of the afternoon. With a 1-0 lead heading into singles play, the Trojans quickly earned two-set victories at the No. 6, 2 and 3 positions to secure the match with a 4-0 advantage.
Despite clinching the match early, the remaining three singles matches faced a more difficult task. Anita Loyola at No. 4, Tiffany Brymer at No. 5 and Jewel Peterson at No. 1 were all pushed to a third set and finished in that order. Loyola earned a 6-1, 3-6, 6-1 win over Dominika Nemcovicova after having dropped the second set. Brymer, still nursing a sprained ankle, fell to Katarina Palenikova in a tiebreaker, 2-6, 6-2, 10-4, and Peterson was defeated by Viktoria Stoklasova, 6-2, 4-6, 6-2, to give the Jaguars their only points of the afternoon.
The Women of Troy return to action on Friday, March 21, when they host No. 53 Pepperdine at 1:30 p.m. at Marks Tennis Stadium.
#2 USC 5, #15 South Alabama 2
(1) #22 Peterson/Brymer (USC) def. Stoklasova/Palenikova (USA) - 8-6
(2) Loyola/Magnani (USC) def. Jager/Jarova (USA) - 8-5
(3) Vermeulen/Esmero (USC) def. Kurekova/Nemcovicova (USA) - 8-4
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #34 Viktoria Stoklasova (USA) def. #5 Jewel Peterson (USC) - 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
(2) #32 Luana Magnani (USC) def. Marlieke Jager (USA) - 6-2, 6-2
(3) #76 Maureen Diaz (USC) def. Andrea Kurekova (USA) - 6-2, 6-1
(4) Anita Loyola (USC) def. Dominika Nemcovicova (USA) - 6-1, 3-6, 6-1
(5) Katarina Palenikova (USA) def. Tiffany Brymer (USC) - 2-6, 6-2, 10-4
(6) #115 Carine Vermeulen (USC) def. Klara Jarova (USA) - 6-2, 6-2
- GO SC -
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 2:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 4:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive