Women's Tennis Has Little Trouble Against No. 53 Pepperdine
March 21, 2003
LOS ANGELES -- Playing despite a depleted roster, No. 53 Pepperdine (6-8) fell to the No. 1-ranked USC women's tennis team, 6-1, on Friday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium. The victory is the Women of Troy's (15-1) second over the Waves this season and extends their current season win streak to 10.
With only five available players, Pepperdine was forced to forfeit No. 3 doubles and No. 5 and 6 singles. USC had to win only one doubles match and one singles match to secure the match victory.
The Women of Troy earned wins at No. 1 and 2 doubles as Tiffany Brymer and Jewel Peterson defeated Monika Horvath and Charlotte Vernaz, 8-5, at center court, and Luana Magnani and Anita Loyola beat Anna Andersson and Merve Asimgil, 8-4, at court two.
With the doubles point in hand and two automatic singles points, Peterson's 6-2, 6-4 win over Vernaz at No. 1 gave the Trojans their match-clinching fourth point.
USC resumes conference play next week as it hosts Arizona State and Arizona on Friday, March 28, and Saturday, March 29.
#1 USC 6, #53 Pepperdine 1
(1) #22 Peterson/Brymer (USC) def. Vernaz/Horvath (Pepp) - 8-5
(2) Magnani/Loyola (USC) def. Andersson/Asimgil (Pepp) - 8-4
(3) Pepperdine Forfeit
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #5 Jewel Peterson (USC) def. #50 Charlotte Vernaz (Pepp) - 6-2, 6-4
(2) #76 Maureen Diaz (USC) def. Merve Asimgil (Pepp) - 7-6, 6-2
(3) Karin Schlapbach (Pepp) def. Anita Loyola (USC) - 2-6, 6-3, 10-5
(4) Tiffany Brymer (USC) def. Anna Andersson (Pepp) - 6-4, 6-7, 10-7
(5) Pepperdine Forfeit
(6) Pepperdine Forfeit