Cardinal Cruise To Victory In Las Vegas
March 25, 2003
Las Vegas, Nev. - The second-ranked Stanford women's tennis team did not lose a set en route to a 7-0 whitewashing of No. 33 UNLV at the Fertitta Tennis Complex on Tuesday afternoon. The Cardinal, who will next play Pac-10 rivals Washington and Washington State, improve to 11-1 overall while the Lady Rebels fall to 11-3.
Stanford, which featured five ranked singles players and two ranked doubles teams, began the day by sweeping three doubles matches for one team point. Third-ranked team of Lauren Barnikow (Woodbridge, NJ) and Erin Burdette (Jackson, GA) defeated UNLV's top doubles team 8-2 to lead the charge.
In singles play seventh-ranked Amber Liu (La Mesa, CA) was up 3-0 in the first set, but Rebel Paulina Janus retired due to injury at the top spot. Alice Barnes (Cambridge, UK) kept up her No. 6 ranking, defeating Agnieszka Abram 6-4, 6-0 at No. 4. Emilia Anderson (Cincinnati, OH) and Story Tweedie-Yates (Remond, WA) also cruised to straight set victories at No. 5 and 6, respectively.
The closest any Lady Rebel came to winning a set was when Tracie Chong lost to Stanford's Burdette 7-6, 6-2.
The Cardinal return to Pac-10 play by hosting Washington on Thursday and Washington State on Friday. Both matches are set to begin at 12 p.m. in the Taube Family Tennis Stadium.
No. 2 Stanford 7, No. 33 UNLV 0
1. (7) Amber Liu (STAN) def. Paulina Janus (UNLV) --- 3-0, retired
2. (20) Lauren Barnikow (STAN) def. Gyorgyi Zsiros (UNLV) --- 6-3, 6-2
3. (38) Erin Burdette (STAN) def. Tracie Chong (UNLV) --- 7-6, 6-2
4. (6) Alice Barnes (STAN) def. Agnieszka Abram (UNLV) --- 6-4, 6-0
5. Emilia Anderson (STAN) def. Cindy Treber (UNLV) --- 6-1, 6-0
6. (85) Story Tweedie-Yates (STAN) def. Amy Hadziosmanovic (UNLV) --- 6-3, 6-2
1. (3) Barkinow/Burdette (STAN) def. Janus/Abram (UNLV) --- 8-2
2. (50) Barnes/Liu (STAN) def. Chong/Treber (UNLV) --- 8-3
3. Anderson/Tweedie-Yates (STAN) def. Zsiros/Hadziosmanovic (UNLV) --- 8-2