Men's Tennis Sweeps UC Riverside at Home
March 25, 2003
EUGENE - The No. 70 Oregon men's tennis team regained its confidence by defeating UC Riverside, 7-0, Tuesday evening at the Student Tennis Center. The Ducks (8-5) had lost their previous four matches, but did not lose a set to the Highlanders (2-11).
In doubles play, all three Oregon pairs won their matches to give Oregon the doubles point. No. 49-ranked Sven Swinnen and Oded Teig won the closest doubles match of the three at No. 1, 9-7. Thomas Bieri and Manuel Kost played at No. 2 for the first time this season, winning easily, 8-1. Jason Menke and Arron Spencer completed the doubles sweep at No. 3, 8-3.
It was much of the same in singles action, as Oregon won all six matches in straight sets. Teig won his match at No. 1, 6-2, 6-1, and the rest of the Ducks followed suit. No. 104-ranked Kost won his match at No. 2 by the same score. Bieri remained undefeated at the No. 3 position, improving his record to 4-0. Swinnen, Menke and Spencer won their matches handily at No. 4, 5 and 6, respectively.
Oregon will host No. 5 California Friday at 1:30 p.m., followed by a noon match Saturday against No. 8 Stanford. It will be the first two matches for Oregon that will count towards Pac-10 play. The Ducks previously played Washington in Seattle, but that match was not considered part of conference action.
Both matches will feature live scoring, available at www.GoDucks.com.
No. 70 Oregon defeats UC Riverside, 7-0.
1. Oded Teig (UO) def. Norman Tam (UCR), 6-2, 6-1
2. No. 104 Manuel Kost (UO) def. Brent Davis (UCR), 6-2, 6-1
3. Thomas Bieri (UO) def. Derek Betyar (UCR), 6-1, 6-2
4. Sven Swinnen (UO) def. Dan Stevens (UCR), 6-3, 6-1
5. Jason Menke (UO) def. Jordan Leo (UCR), 6-0, 6-3
6. Arron Spencer (UO) def. Justin Betyar (UCR), 6-3, 6-3
1. No. 49 Swinnen/Teig (UO) def. Davis/Tam (UCR), 9-7
2. Bieri/Kost (UO) def. Betyar/Betyar (UCR), 8-1
3. Menke/Spencer (UO) def. Regaliza/Stevens (UCR), 8-3