Women's Tennis Falls to Virginia Tech
March 26, 2003
BLACKSBURG, Va. - The No. 27 Oregon women's tennis team fell to Virginia Tech Wednesday, 4-3, in Blacksburg, Va. The Ducks (10-10, 2-6) won the doubles point, but the Hokies (12-9) won four of six singles matches to pick up the team victory.
'It was a hard-fought match,' Oregon head coach Nils Schyllander said. 'Obviously, injuries are starting to catch up with us. It really hurt not having Jamie [Marshall] out there.'
Once again, Oregon only had six players available for the match. Junior Davina Mendiburu was lost for the season in January with an ACL injury, while freshman Marshall went down with an ankle injury almost two weeks ago.
Oregon fought hard to win the doubles point, led by No. 27-ranked Courtney Nagle and Daria Panova at the No. 1 position. Nagle and Panova forced a tiebreaker and eventually won, 9-8. Monika Gieczys and Julie Merle teamed up at No. 2 to win their match, 9-7, to clinch the doubles point.
In singles play, the Hokies won three matches in straight sets and clinched the win with a tight three-setter at No. 6. For the Ducks, No. 40-ranked Nagle won at No. 2, 7-6, 7-5, while Ester Bak won a close match at No. 5, 7-6, 4-6, 6-3. Panova, who moved up to No. 15 in the nation in the latest polls, was upset at No. 1 by Kristen Stubbs, 6-1, 6-3.
'We just need to try and have other people step up for us and get things rolling in the right direction again,' Schyllander said.
The road trip does not get any easier for the Ducks, as they take on No. 14 Virginia Commonwealth Friday at 11 a.m. PST.
Virginia Tech defeats No. 27 Oregon, 4-3.
1. Kristen Stubbs (VT) def. No. 15 Daria Panova (UO), 6-1, 6-3
2. No. 40 Courtney Nagle (UO) def. Carolyn Kramer (VT), 7-6, 7-5
3. Elissa Kinard (VT) def. Monika Gieczys (UO), 6-3, 6-1
4. Felice Lam (VT) def. Julie Merle (UO), 6-1, 6-1
5. Ester Bak (UO) def. Ginger Lowdermilk (VT), 7-6, 4-6, 6-3
6. Zdenka Videnova (VT) def. Anna Leksinska (UO), 7-5, 3-6, 6-3
1. No. 27 Nagle/Panova (UO) def. Kinard/Kramer (VT), 9-8
2. Gieczys/Merle (UO) def. Lowdermilk/Stubbs (VT), 9-7
3. Lam Videnova (VT) def. Bak/Leksinska (UO), 8-2