No. 10 Husky Women's Tennis Falls to No. 2 Stanford
March 27, 2003
Stanford, Calif. - Tenth ranked Washington women's tennis team was defeated by second-ranked Stanford, 7-0, Thursday afternoon at the Taube Tennis Stadium. The Cardinals improved their record to 12-1 overall and 2-0 in the Pac-10 while the Huskies fell to 12-2 overall and 1-1 in conference play.
This defeat snapped Washington's 10-match winning streak. It is also the Huskies first Pac-10 loss of the season. Stanford remains undefeated against Washington with an all time series record of 13-0.
The Cardinals swept the doubles point from the Huskies, winning all three matches. 11th-ranked Claire Carter and Darija Klaic were defeated, 8-6, by the Stanford duo of No. 2 Lauren Barnikow and Erin Burdette.
In singles play, Stanford dominated Washington on the courts. Junior All-American Claire Carter fell to Stanford's No. 5 freshman Amber Liu, 6-2, 6-1. Senior Colleen Gray was defeated by fourth-ranked Alice Barnes, 6-4, 6-2. Although Washington's Dea Sumantri took an early lead in her match against Stanford's No. 16 Lauren Barnikow, she was defeated when Barnikow came from behind to win the match 3-6, 6-2, 6-2.
In other action, the Cardinals continued to sweep the Huskies. Cardinal Erin Burdette was victorious over UW's Erin Boisclair, 6-1, 7-6. Stanford recorded two other victories, Emilia Anderson defeated Husky Dinka Hazic, 6-2, 7-5, while UW's Erin Hoe fell to Story Tweedle Yates, 6-3, 6-2.
Washington will continue their Pac-10 conference play tomorrow with a match against fourth-ranked Cal, Friday, March 28, at 12 p.m. The Huskies trail Cal in the all time series, 1-17.
Washington Women's Tennis vs. Stanford
March 27, 2003 - Stanford, Calif.
# 10 Washington 0, Stanford 7
1. (2) Barnikow/Burdette (STAN) def. (11) Carter/Klaic (UW) -- 8-6
2. (48) Barnes/Liu (STAN) def. Gray/Sumantri (UW) -- 8-5
3. Anderson/Tweedie-Yates (STAN) def. Hadzic/Hoe (UW) -- 8-2
1. (5) Amber Liu (STAN) def. (42) Claire Carter (UW) -- 6-2, 6-1
2. (16) Lauren Barnikow (STAN)def. (45) Dea Sumantri (UW) -- 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
3. (37) Erin Burdette (STAN) def. Erin Boisclair (UW) -- 6-1, 7-6
4. (4) Alice Barnes (STAN) def. Colleen Gray (UW) -- 6-4, 6-2
5. Emilia Anderson (STAN) def. Dinka Hadzic (UW) -- 6-2, 7-5
6. Story Tweedie-Yates (STAN) def. Erin Hoe (UW) -- 6-3, 6-2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 1:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 3:00pm PTLive