Women's Tennis Loses to No. 14 Virginia Commonwealth
March 28, 2003
RICHMOND, Va. - The No. 27 Oregon women's tennis team lost its third straight match in the state of Virginia, this time against No. 14 Virginia Commonwealth, 6-1. The Ducks (10-11, 2-6) were unable to score the upset on the road, winning only one singles match.
'It's a little frustrating to fly all the way out here and to feel like we didn't play our best,' Oregon coach Nils Schyllander said. 'But I think it's a good learning experience. We're starting to get a little healthier.'
Oregon did not win a doubles match against the Rams, with Ester Bak and Anna Leksinska coming the closest at No. 3, losing 8-5. In singles action, only Daria Panova, ranked No. 15 nationally, was able to pull out a victory. Panova defeated No. 67 Barbora Zahnova, 6-1, 6-4, giving Zahnova her first loss of the season.
No. 40-ranked Courtney Nagle lost to No. 35 Marina Escobar Martinez in a 10-point third-set tiebreaker, 6-2, 6-7, 1-0, at the No. 2 position. Freshman Julie Merle forced a third set as well at No. 5, but lost her match, 6-1, 3-6, 6-3.
Oregon will next play Pepperdine Saturday, March 5, on the road. The Ducks will also play Loyola Marymount on the road trip.
No. 14 Virginia Commonwealth def. No. 27 Oregon, 6-1.
1. No. 15 Daria Panova (UO) def. No. 67 Barbora Zahnova (VCU), 6-1, 6-4
2. No. 35 Marina Escobar Martinez (VCU) def. No. 40 Courtney Nagle (UO), 6-2, 6-7, 1-0
3. Silvia Urickova (VCU) def. Monika Gieczys (UO), 6-2, 6-3
4. Ana Franco Lopez (VCU) def. Ester Bak (UO), 6-0, 6-0
5. Christina Arribas (VCU) def. Julie Merle (UO), 6-1, 3-6, 6-3
6. Cristina Gago (VCU) def. Anna Leksinska (UO), 6-1, 7-5
1. No. 22 Urickova/Zahnova (VCU) def. No. 27 Nagle/Panova (UO), 8-3
2. Eribas/Escobar Martinez (VCU) def. Gieczys/Merle (UO), 8-4
3. Franco Lopez/Gago (VCU) def. Bak/Leksinska (UO), 8-5