Ninth-Ranked Washington Falls To Seventh-Ranked California, 5-2
March 29, 2003
SEATTLE - The ninth-ranked Husky men's tennis team lost its second straight match Saturday, falling to seventh-ranked Cal, 5-2, at Bill Quillian Stadium. Washington (14-2) saw its string of 14 consecutive wins snapped Friday by Stanford.
The Huskies lost two of three doubles matches, but UW's Christoph Palmanshofer and Peter Scharler downed Mik Ledvonova and Conor Niland, 8-5. Matt Hanlin and Dillon Ruby lost their first doubles match of the season, while Ari Strasberg and Alex Vlaski battled but fell in their match.
In singles action, Washington won two out of six, as Hanlin extended his all-time career wins record to 101 with 6-4,7-6 (7) victory. Also earning a win for Washington was Vlaski, who downed John Paul Fruttero in straight sets,7-5, 6-3.
The Huskies now head to the desert to take on Arizona State, Fri., April 4, in Tempe, Ariz. (12:30 p.m. PT), and Arizona, Sat., April 5, in Tucson (12 p.m. PT).
Washington Men's Tennis vs. California
March 29, 2003 - Seattle Washington
#9 Washington 2, #7 Stanford 5
1. Steve Berke & Robert Kowalczyck (CAL) def. Ari Strasberg & Alex Vlaski (UW) 8-4
2. Patrick Briaud & John Paul Fruttero (CAL) def. Matt Hanlin & Dillon Ruby (UW) 8-6
3. C. Palmanshofer & Peter Scharler (UW) def. Mik Ledvonova & Conor Niland (CAL) 8-5
1. Matt Hanlin (UW) def. Conor Niland (CAL) 6-4, 7-6 (7)
2. Alex Vlaski (UW) def. John Paul Fruttero (CAL) 7-5, 6-3
3. Or Dekel (CAL) def. Fred Sundsten (UW) 7-6, 6-1
4. Robert Kowalczyck (CAL) def. C. Palmanshopfer (UW) 6-2, 6-2
5. Steve Berke (CAL) def. Peter Scharler (UW) 6-2, 7-5
6. Mik Ledvonova (CAL) def. Dillon Ruby (UW) 6-2, 6-3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 11:00am PTLive
TOMORROW | 1:00pm PTLive