No. 10 Washington Women's Tennis Falls to No. 4 California , 5-2
March 29, 2003
The No. 10 Washington women's tennis team (12-3) and (1-2) in conference play fell to No. 4 California Bears, Friday, with a loss of 5-2. The Huskies have dropped two in a row, while Cal extends their winning steak to nine-matches.
The Huskies are looking to get back on track after two Pac-10 losses. The series against Cal shows the challenge for the Huskies as they trail in the all-time series, 1-18.
The Golden Bears swept the doubles point from the Huskies, winning all three matches. 11th ranked Claire Carter and Darija Klaic fell to fifth-ranked tandem of Christina Fusano and Raquel Kops-Jones,8-3.
In singles action, No. 45 Dea Sumantri upset No. 36 Christina Fusanoand, and Erin Boisclair upset No. 90 Catherine Lynch, while the rest of the Huskies fell to their opponents. Junior All-American Claire Carter fell to No. 9 Raquel Kops-Jones, 6-4, 6-3, in straight sets. Darija Klaic battled, but was defeated by Jieun Jacobs, 6-1, 3-6, 6-3.
The Huskies will return home for five-straight Pac-10 matches, beginning with Arizona and Arizona State, Friday, April 4 and Saturday, April 5. Both Contests will be played at 12 p.m. at Bill Quillian Stadium (weather permitting).
Washington Women's Tennis vs. California
March 28, 2003 - Seattle, Wash.
# 10 Washington 2, # 4 Oregon 5
1. No. 5 Fusano & Kops-Jones (CAL) def. No. 11 Carter & Klaic (UW) 8-3
2. Jacobs & Scheldt (CAL) def. Gray & Sumantri (UW) 9-8 (10-8)
3. Havlicek & Lynch (CAL) def. Boisclair & Hadzic (UW) 8-4
1. No. 9 Raquel Kops-Jones (CAL) def. No. 42 Claire Carter (UW) 6-4, 6-3
2. No. 45 Dea Sumantri (UW) def. No. 36 Christina Fusano (CAL) 7-5, 6-3
3. No. 57 Jien Jacobs (CAL) def. Darija Klaic (UW) 6-1, 3-6, 6-3
4. Erin Boisclair (UW) def. No. 90 Catherine Lynch (CAL) 6-1, 6-2
5. Nicole Havlicek (CAL) def. Colleen Gray (UW) 2-6, 7-6 (7-3), 6-4
6. Jody Scheldt (CAL) def. Dinka Hadzic (UW) 7-6 (7-5), 3-6, 6-2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:30pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive