Trojans Come Away With 4-3 Win Over Arizona
March 29, 2003
TUCSON, Ariz. - The No. 28 USC men's tennis team bounced back from yesterday's loss to defeat No. 40 Arizona, 4-3, on Saturday afternoon in Tucson. Learning from their mistakes against ASU on Friday, the Trojans won the doubles point against the Wildcats to give them the edge entering evenly-matched singles play.
The win marks USC's first in conference play, as the Trojans improve to 11-6 overall and 1-2 in the Pac-10. Arizona falls to 5-8 overall and 0-2 in the Pac-10.
USC swept all three doubles matches to earn the first point and take the momentum. Johan Berg and Ruben Torres defeated Carl Hagman and Daniel Andrus at No. 3, 8-4. Matches one and two were a lot closer as the USC duos of Prakash Amritraj and Jeff Kazarian and Daniel Langre and Parker Collins each walked away with 9-7 victories.
'Doubles was the difference for us today,' said USC head coach Peter Smith. 'That's the key to winning close matches and today we were able to do that. In singles, our returning NCAA Champions came up big.'
The Wildcats battled back, winning at the No. 5 and 6 positions to take the 2-1 lead. Langre tied the match by defeating Paul Warkentin on court three, 6-4, 6-1, and Amritraj regained the Trojans' lead with a 4-6, 6-0, 6-1 victory over Whi Kim at center court.
The Wildcats' hopes were kept alive as Hagman won an emotional match on court two when he defeated Johan Berg in three sets, 7-5, 5-7, 6-4, but it was junior Ruben Torres that won the match for USC as he defeated Roger Matalonga, 6-7, 6-2, 6-3.
The Trojans' road trip continues next week as they travel to the Bay Area to face Stanford on Friday, April 4, and California on Saturday, April 5.
#28 USC 4, #40 Arizona 3
(1) Armitraj/Kazarian (USC) def. Kim/Warkentin (Ariz) - 9-7
(2) Langre/Collins (USC) def. O'Grady/Matalonga (Ariz) - 9-7
(3) Berg/Torres (USC) def. Hagman/Andrus (Ariz) - 8-4
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #45 Prakash Armitraj (USC) def. Whi Kim (Ariz) - 4-6, 6-0, 6-1
(2) Carl Hagman (Ariz) def. #71 Johan Berg (USC) - 7-5, 5-7, 6-4
(3) Daniel Langre (USC) def. Paul Warkentin (Ariz) - 6-4, 6-1
(4) Ruben Torres (USC) def. Roger Matalonga (Ariz) - 6-7, 6-2, 6-3
(5) Colin O'Grady (Ariz) def. Parker Collins (USC) - 6-3, 6-1
(6) Daniel Andrus (Ariz) def. Scott Patterson (USC) - 6-0, 6-2