Men's Tennis Defeats Oregon, 5-2
April 4, 2003
TUCSON, Ariz. - The No. 52 Arizona men's tennis team notched its first Pac-10 win of the season Friday against No. 58 Oregon, 5-2. The Wildcats improve to 7-8 on the season, 1-7 in the Pac-10.
Arizona began the match by winning the doubles point with wins in the first and second spots. In the No. 1 position, junior Whi Kim and sophomore Paul Warkentin defeated Oregon's duo of Oded Teig and Sven Swinnen, 8-5. In the No. 2 spot, sophomore Colin O'Grady and freshman Roger Matalonga tallied a win over the Ducks' team of Manuel Kost and Thomas Bieri, 8-4.
In singles play, junior Carl Hagman defeated Teig in the second spot, 7-5, 6-0. Matalonga won in the fourth position over Oregon's Bieri, 6-2, 6-4. In the fifth spot, the Ducks' Jason Menke fell to O'Grady, 6-0, 6-3. Rounding out the four singles wins for the Wildcats, freshman Daniel Andrus defeated Junaid Hossain in the sixth spot, 6-4, 6-4.
The men's tennis team will look for its second consecutive conference win when it takes on No. 11 Washington Saturday at 1 p.m. at the Robson Tennis Center.
1. Manuel Kost (UO) def. Whi Kim (UA), 6-3, 3-6, 12-10
2. Carl Hagman (UA) def. Oded Teig (UO), 7-5, 6-0
3. Sven Swinnen (UO) def. Paul Warkentin (UA), 7-6(5), 6-0
4. Roger Matalonga (UA) def. Thomas Bieri (UO), 6-2, 6-4
5. Colin O'Grady (UA) def. Jason Menke (UO), 6-0, 6-3
6. Daniel Andrus (UA) def. Junaid Hossain (UO), 6-4, 64
1. Kim/Warkentin (UA) def. Teig/Swinnen (UO), 8-5
2. O'Grady/Matalonga (UA) def. Kost/Bieri (UO), 8-4
3. Menke/ Arron Spencer (UO) def. Hagman/Andrus (UA), 9-8(7)