Men's Tennis Falls to Arizona in the Desert
April 4, 2003
TUCSON, Ariz. - The No. 58 Oregon men's tennis team fell Friday afternoon to No. 52 Arizona, 5-2, in Tucson, Ariz. The Ducks (8-8, 0-3) won two of the six singles matches, but could not convert opportunities at other positions against the Wildcats (7-8, 1-2).
'We didn't play that well,' Oregon coach Chris Russell said. 'Hopefully we're going to pick it up tomorrow. We definitely need to bounce back. This is a two-match trip.'
The Ducks will play at noon Saturday in Tempe against the No. 40-ranked Sun Devils to conclude the road swing in Arizona. The Ducks will need to play better in doubles action to have a chance. Against the Wildcats, the No. 42-ranked pair of Sven Swinnen and Oded Teig lost at the No. 1 position, 8-4. Thomas Bieri and Manuel Kost, who had won three straight entering Friday's match, lost by the same score at No. 2. Only Jason Menke and Arron Spencer were able to capitalize, as the tandem won at No. 3, 9-8.
In singles action, No. 92 Kost defeated Whi Kim at No. 1 in three sets, 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (9). The two players only played a 10-point third set tiebreaker with the team match already clinched by the Wildcats. Oregon's other win came at No. 3, where Swinnen won a first set tiebreaker before cruising to victory against Paul Warkentin, 7-6, 6-0.
The Ducks will stay on the road next week, playing at No. 6 UCLA and No. 22 USC. The match against the Bruins is scheduled for Friday at 1:30 p.m., with the match against the Trojans taking place Saturday at noon.
No. 52 Arizona def. No. 58 Oregon, 5-2.
1. No. 92 Manuel Kost (UO) def. Whi Kim (UA), 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (11-9)
2. Carl Hagman (UA) def. Oded Teig (UO), 7-5, 6-0
3. Sven Swinnen (UO) def. Paul Warkentin (UA), 7-6, 6-0
4. Roger Matalonga (UA) def. Thomas Bieri (UO), 6-2, 6-4
5. Colin O'Grady (UA) def. Jason Menke (UO), 6-0, 6-3
6. Daniel Andrus (UA) def. Junaid Hossain (UO), 6-4, 6-4
1. Kim/Warkentin (UA) def. No. 42 Swinnen/Teig (UO), 8-4
2. Matalonga/O'Grady (UA) def. Bieri/Kost (UO), 8-4
3. Menke/Spencer (UO) def. Andrus/Hagman (UA), 9-8