No. 9 Women's Tennis Downs No. 12 Arizona State 5-2
April 4, 2003
SEATTLE, Wash. - Ninth-ranked Washington women's tennis opened a five-match homestand with a 5-2 Pac-10 victory over 12th-ranked Arizona State at the Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center in Seattle, Friday afternoon. The win improved the Huskies to 13-3 overall and 2-2 vs. conference opponents, while the Sun Devils dropped to 8-6 overall, 1-3 in the Pac-10.
The Huskies clinched the doubles point and won four singles contests to defeat ASU, snapping a modest two-match losing streak. UW's All-American duo of junior Claire Carter and senior Darija Klaic defeated ASU's Lauren Colalillo and Adria Engel at No. 1 doubles, 8-2. Senior Colleen Gray and sophomore Dea Sumantri won the No. 2 doubles battle over ASU's Cindy Sureephong and Mhairi Brown, 8-5.
Sumantri cracked into UW's Top-10 season singles victories list with a straight-set win in the No. 2 position over ASU's Dora Krstulovic (6-1, 6-3). Sumantri is now 23-3 this season (including a 14-1 dual record) which ties her for ninth-place on the all-time list with Jenny Svanfeldt (23-9, 1998-99) and Mary Reilly (23-10, 1990-91).
Gray's win at No. 5 singles clinched the team victory for the Huskies, a 6-1, 6-2 win over Sureephong. Also picking up singles wins for Washington were Klaic and senior Erin Boisclair who improved to 15-1 in dual action, and 20-5 overall.
The Huskies continue the homestand, Saturday, hosting 45th-ranked Arizona at 12 p.m. at the Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center.
Washington Women's Tennis vs. Arizona State
April 4, 2003 o Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center
#9 Washington 5, # 12 Arizona State 2
1. (14) Adria Engel (ASU) def. (42) Claire Carter (UW), 7-5, 6-3
2. (45) Dea Sumantri (UW) def. (48) Dora Krstulovic (ASU), 6-1, 6-3
3. (88) Darija Klaic (UW) def. Mhairi Brown (ASU), 7-6, 6-1
4. Erin Boisclair (UW) def. Lauren Colalillo (ASU), 6-0, 6-2
5. Colleen Gray (UW) def. Cindy Sureephong (ASU), 6-1, 6-2
6. Joslynn Burkett (ASU) def. Dinka Hadzic (UW), 3-6, 6-3 (10-5)
1. (11) Claire Carter/Darija Klaic (UW) def. (29) Lauren Colalillo/Adria Engel (ASU), 8-2
2. Colleen Gray/Dea Sumantri (UW) def. Cindy Sureephong/Mhairi Brown (ASU), 8-5
3. Erin Boisclair/Dinka Hadzic (UW) vs. Megan Yeats/Joslynn Burkett (ASU) - dnf
TODAY | 12:30pm PTLive
TODAY | 3:00pm PTLive