Women's Tennis Upset By No. 2 Stanford, 5-2
April 4, 2003
LOS ANGELES - Putting an end to its 12-match win streak, the No. 1-ranked USC women's tennis team fell to No. 2 Stanford, 5-2, on Friday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium. With their first loss since early February, the Women of Troy fall to 17-2 overall, while the Cardinal improves to 14-1. The match does not count against conference records.
The Trojans got off to a good start as Carine Vermeulen and Melissa Esmero tallied the first win, beating Stanford's Story Tweedie-Yates and Emilia Anderson, 8-3, at court three. Meanwhile at center court, Jewel Peterson and Tiffany Brymer trailed the Cardinal's Lauren Barnikow and Erin Burdette, 7-3. The USC pair managed to hold Stanford at match point for three points of their own, but eventually fell 8-6.
The doubles point was left up to the teams on court two where Stanford's Amber Lui and Alice Barnes had knotted the score, 4-4. The teams alternated points until USC's Luana Magnani and Anita Loyola finally broke serve for the 9-7 victory.
USC held a 1-0 edge entering singles play, but Stanford came out firing. The Cardinal won the first set on five of six courts and quickly made up for the deficit in the match. Lui tallied the first point by defeating Peterson, 6-2, 6-2, at center court and Barnes followed with a 6-0, 6-3 win over Loyola at the No. 4 spot. Barnikow gave Stanford a 3-1 lead with a 7-5, 6-0 decision over Magnani at court two and Burdette clinched the match by beating Maureen Diaz, 6-3, 6-1, at No. 3.
Vermeulen posted the Women of Troy's second point of the afternoon as she defeated Tweedie-Yates, 6-4, 7-5, in the backcourts.
USC's tough weekend is not over as it looks to bounce back against No. 2 California on Saturday, April 5, at Marks Tennis Stadium. The match will be the last home outing for the Trojans' three seniors - Peterson, Loyola, Brymer and Diaz.
#2 Stanford 5, #1 USC 2
(1) #2 Barnikow/Burdette (Stan) def. #18 Peterson/Brymer (USC) - 8-6
(2) Loyola/Magnani (USC) def. Barnes/Lui (Stan) - 9-7
(3) Vermeulen/Esmero (USC) def. Tweedie-Yates/Anderson (Stan) - 8-3
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #5 Amber Lui (Stan) def. #6 Jewel Peterson (USC) 6-2, 6-2
(2) #16 Lauren Barnikow (Stan) def. #34 Luana Magnani (USC) - 7-5, 6-0
(3) #37 Erin Burdette (Stan) def. #84 Maureen Diaz (USC) 6-3, 6-1
(4) #4 Alica Barnes (Stan) def. Anita Loyola (USC) - 6-0, 6-3
(5) Emilia Anderson (Stan) def. Tiffany Brymer (USC) - 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
(6) #116 Carine Vermeulen (USC) def. Story Tweedie-Yates (Stan) - 6-4, 7-5
- GO SC -
TODAY | 7:30pm PTLive