Men's Tennis Defeated By No. 4 Cal, 5-2
April 5, 2003
Berkeley, Calif. -- The No. 22 USC men's tennis team finished the difficult Bay Area road trip with a 5-2 loss to fourth-ranked California on Saturday afternoon at the Hellman Tennis Center in Berkeley. With the loss, the Trojans fall to 12-8 overall this season, while the Bears improve to 16-2.
Playing with a depleted roster due to injuries, the Trojans had to once again readjust their doubles lineup and suffered losses on all three courts to start the afternoon.
USC was forced to play without Ruben Torres, Parker Collins or Jeff Kazarian in the singles lineup and the Bears took advantage. Cal earned two-set wins on courts two, four, five and six to secure the match victory.
Meanwhile, the Trojans were battling at the top of the lineup. Daniel Langre posted USC's first point with a decisive 6-4, 6-0 victory over Balazs Veress at No. 2 and Prakash Amritraj gave the Trojans a second win with a three-set decision over John Paul Fruttero, 7-6, 4-6, 10-8, at center court.
'After this weekend we are feeling better about our doubles and it was great to see Daniel and Prakash come through with those singles wins,' said USC head coach Peter Smith. 'Now we just need to get healthy and prepare for the end of the season.'
The Trojans return home next week to host Washington and Oregon on Friday and Saturday, April 11 and 12, at Marks Tennis Stadium.
#4 California 5, #22 USC 2
(1) #25 Berke/Kowalczyck (Cal) def. #17 Amritraj/Langre (USC) - 8-6
(2) Briaud/Fruttero (Cal) def. Berg/Collins (USC) - 8-4
(3) Niland/Veress (Cal) def. Livingston/Tontz (USC) - 8-1
Cal wins doubles point.
(1) #34 Prakash Amritraj (USC) def. John Paul Fruttero (Cal) - 7-6, 4-6, 10-8
(2) #50 Conor Niland (Cal) def. #80 Johan Berg (USC) - 7-5, 6-1
(3) Daniel Langre (USC) def. Balazs Veress (Cal) - 6-4, 6-0
(4) Or Dekel (Cal) def. Scott Patterson (USC) - 6-4, 6-1
(5) Steve Berke (Cal) def. Whit Livingston (USC) - 6-0, 6-4
(6) #56 Robert Kowalczyk (Cal) def. Daniel Tontz (USC) - 6-0, 6-0
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 2:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 5:00pm PTLive