Men's Tennis Knocked Off by Arizona State
April 5, 2003
TEMPE, Ariz. - The No. 58 Oregon men's tennis team lost to No. 40 Arizona State, 4-3, Saturday afternoon in Tempe, Ariz. The Ducks (8-9, 0-4) rallied after losing the doubles point, but fell one point short of defeating the Sun Devils (8-9, 3-1).
'We actually competed better today than we did yesterday [a loss to Arizona],' Oregon coach Chris Russell said. 'We just need to get a little more out of the guys at the bottom of the lineup.'
In doubles action, only Thomas Bieri and Manuel Kost at the No. 2 position were able to win, 8-2. No. 42-ranked Sven Swinnen and Oded Teig lost at the No. 1 position, 8-5, while Jason Menke and Arron Spencer fell at No. 3, 8-4.
In singles play, Oregon dominated the top of the lineup, winning the matches at the top three positions. Kost, ranked No. 92 nationally, defeated No. 125 Pim Van Mele, 7-6, 6-2, at No. 1. Teig won in straight sets at No. 2, 6-4, 6-3, while Swinnen stormed back to win in three sets, 3-6, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 3.
The Sun Devils were able to hold off the comeback attempt by winning the bottom three spots in the singles lineup. Freshman Junaid Hossain, playing in only his third dual match as a Duck, nearly forced a third set in his match at No. 6, but eventually lost the match in a second-set tiebreaker, 6-1, 7-6.
Oregon will play two matches on the road in Los Angeles next week, against UCLA and USC. The Ducks will conclude their dual match season at home against Washington in two weeks.
No. 40 Arizona State def. No. 58 Oregon, 4-3.
1. No. 92 Manuel Kost (UO) def. No. 125 Pim Van Mele (ASU), 7-6, 6-2
2. Oded Teig (UO) def. Clinton Letcher (ASU), 6-4, 6-3
3. Sven Swinnen (UO) def. Chris Stewart (ASU), 3-6, 6-1, 6-2
4. Chris Letcher (ASU) def. Thomas Bieri (UO), 6-3, 7-5
5. Olivier Charroin (ASU) def. Jason Menke (UO), 6-4, 6-2
6. Ryan McBride (ASU) def. Junaid Hossain (UO), 6-1, 7-6
1. Letcher/Stewart (ASU) def. No. 42 Swinnen/Teig (UO), 8-5
2. Bieri/Kost (UO) def. Charroin/Letcher (ASU), 8-2
3. McBride/Van Mele (ASU) def. Menke/Spencer (UO), 8-4