Women's Tennis Toppled by the Waves
April 5, 2003
MALIBU, Calif. - The No. 33 Oregon women's tennis team lost to No. 54 Pepperdine, 5-2, Saturday afternoon in Malibu, Calif. The Ducks (10-12, 2-6) won the matches at the top of the lineup, but were unable to pick up the necessary points at the bottom of the lineup to defeat the Waves (8-12).
'There were some good individual matches out there today,' Oregon coach Nils Schyllander said. 'We need everybody to show up on the same day as a group. We just need to do it across the board.'
In doubles play, the No. 27-ranked tandem of Courtney Nagle and Daria Panova easily won at the No. 1 position, 8-1, to get things started for the Ducks. Unfortunately for Oregon, Pepperdine won the other two matches to clinch the doubles point.
Panova, ranked No. 15 nationally, won her match at the No. 1 singles position when her opponent, No. 51 Charlotte Vernaz, was forced to retire down 5-0 in the first set. No. 40-ranked Nagle scored Oregon's other point with a three-set victory against Merve Asimgil at No. 2, 6-3, 2-6, 6-2. Sophomore Ester Bak came the closest of any other Duck, losing in three sets, 7-6, 3-6, 7-6.
Oregon will play Loyola Marymount Sunday at 11 a.m., also on the road. The Lions recently defeated the Waves, 4-3, in a conference match.
No. 54 Pepperdine def. No. 33 Oregon, 5-2.
1. No. 15 Daria Panova (UO) def. No. 51 Charlotte Vernaz (P), 5-0, ret.
2. No. 40 Courtney Nagle (UO) def. Merve Asimgil (P), 6-3, 2-6, 6-2
3. Monika Horvath (P) def. Monika Gieczys (UO), 6-4, 7-5
4. Karin Schlapbach (P) def. Jamie Marshall (UO), 6-1, 6-2
5. Veronica Koksova (P) def. Ester Bak (UO), 7-6, 3-6, 7-6
6. Anna Anderson (P) def. Anna Leksinska (UO), 6-3, 6-0
1. No. 27 Nagle/Panova (UO) def. Horvath/Vernaz (P), 8-1
2. Andersson/Schlapbach (P) def. Bak/Gieczys (UO), 8-4
3. Asimgil/Koksova (P) def. Leksinska/Merle (UO), 8-2
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/19 | 3:00pm PTLive