Women's Tennis Falls to Loyola Marymount
April 6, 2003
LOS ANGELES - The No. 33 Oregon women's tennis team suffered its second loss in as many days on Sunday, this time a 4-3 loss to Loyola Marymount. The Ducks (10-13, 2-6) won the doubles point by taking two of the three matches, but could only pull out two singles wins against the Lions.
In doubles play, the No. 27-ranked tandem of Courtney Nagle and Daria Panova won easily at No. 1 against Penka Fileva and Patrycia Hubl, 8-2. Ester Bak and Monika Gieczys did the same at No. 2 against Edit Pakay and Diana Vinis, winning by the same score to clinch the doubles point for the Ducks.
Panova, ranked No. 15 nationally, won for her third straight time at No. 1 singles, 6-2, 6-4. Panova is starting to recover from nagging injuries to her knees and back that have plagued her throughout the majority of the season. Gieczys won Oregon's other match of the day at No. 3, 6-4, 7-5.
Freshman Jamie Marshall, who returned to the lineup Saturday following a three-week absence due to an ankle injury, forced a third set in her match before eventually falling at the No. 4 position, 6-2, 3-6, 6-2. Bak dominated in the second set in her match at No. 5, but could not sustain the pressure in the third set and lost, 7-6, 1-6, 6-2.
The Ducks will play at San Diego State and San Diego on March 18 and 19, respectively. Oregon will then prepare for the Pac-10 Championships to be held in Ojai, Calif.
Loyola Marymount def. No. 33 Oregon, 4-3.
1. No. 15 Daria Panova (UO) def. Edit Pakay (LMU), 6-2, 6-4
2. Penka Fileva (LMU) def. No. 40 Courtney Nagle (UO), 6-2, 6-2
3. Monika Gieczys (UO) def. Diana Vinis (LMU), 6-4, 7-5
4. Jennifer Baker (LMU) def. Jamie Marshall (UO), 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
5. Georgie Dinham (LMU) def. Ester Bak (UO), 7-6, 1-6, 6-2
6. Patrycia Hubl (LMU) def. Julie Merle (UO), 6-2, 6-2
1. No. 27 Nagle/Panova (UO) def. Fileva/Hubl (LMU), 8-2
2. Bak/Gieczys (UO) def. Pakay/Vinis (LMU), 8-2
3. Baker/Dinham (LMU) def. Leksinska/Marshall (UO), 8-3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 10:30am PTLive
TOMORROW | 4:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive