Men's Tennis Falls To 15th-Ranked Washington, 4-2
April 11, 2003
LOS ANGELES - Despite strong doubles play, the No. 23 USC men's tennis team dropped four singles matches and suffered a 4-2 loss to No. 15 Washington on Friday at Marks Tennis Stadium. This Pac-10-counting match-up drops the Trojans to 12-9 overall and 1-3 in conference play. The Huskies improve to 15-4 overall and 1-4 in the Pac-10.
USC got off to a great start by earning wins at No. 1 and 3 doubles for the first point of the afternoon. Prakash Amritraj and Jeff Kazarian upset 33rd-ranked Ari Strasberg and Alex Vlaski, 8-4, at center court and Parker Collins and Daniel Langre shut-out Christoph Palmanshofer and Peter Scharler, 8-0, at court three. The Trojans even made it difficult for the Huskies to grab a win at No. 2 as Ruben Torres and Johan Berg suffered a narrow loss in the tiebreaker, 9-8 (4), to UW's Matt Hanlin and Dillon Ruby.
In singles, the Trojans won the first set on three of the five courts playing and seemed to be in control of the match, but Washington began to battle back. Ruby defeated Collins, 6-3, 6-2, on court five for the Huskies' first point and Vlaski followed with a 6-3, 6-4 win over Langre at No. 2.
Just as the No. 6 match began, Amritraj, Berg and Torres were each pushed to a third set. Berg was eventually beat by Strasberg, 2-6, 6-1, 6-2, to give Washington a 3-1 lead. At center court, Amritraj pulled out a 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (4) win over the higher-ranked Hanlin to bring USC within one, 3-2, but the Huskies clinched the match as Palmanshofer defeated Torres in the tiebreaker, 2-6, 6-3, 7-6. With the match decided, No. 6 was suspended.
'This was a great college match that we just came up short in,' said USC head coach Peter Smith. 'I was pleased with level of play our guys gave us, especially in doubles, but you wish that you could win these close matches at home. We just could not capatalize on some first sets.'
The Trojans return to action on Saturday, April 12, as they host No. 61 Oregon at Marks Tennis Stadium at noon.
#15 Washington 4, #23 USC 2
(1) Amritraj/Kazarian (USC) def. #33 Strasberg/Vlaski (Wash) - 8-4
(2) Hanlin/Ruby (Wash) def. Berg/Torres (USC) - 9-8 (4)
(3) Collins/Langre (USC) def. Palmanshofer/Scharler (Wash) - 8-0
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #53 Prakash Amritraj (USC) def. #26 Matt Hanlin (Wash) - 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (4)
(2) #10 Alex Vlaski (Wash) def. Daniel Langre (USC) - 6-3, 6-4
(3) Ari Strasberg (Wash) def. #115 Johan Berg (USC) - 2-6, 6-1, 6-2
(4) Christoph Palmanshofer (Wash) def. Ruben Torres (USC) - 2-6, 6-3, 7-6
(5) Dillon Ruby (Wash) def. Parker Collins (USC) - 6-3, 6-2
(6) Jeff Kazarian (USC) vs. Peter Scharler (Wash) - 5-2 suspended
- GO SC -
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 8:00pm PTLive