No. 15 Men's Tennis Snaps Losing Skid With First Ever Win Over No. 22 USC
April 11, 2003
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - Fifteenth-ranked Washington men's tennis (15-4 overall, 1-4 Pac-10) snapped a four-match losing streak and made a bit of history in the process, defeating the 22nd-ranked USC Trojans for the first time ever in the all-time series with a 4-2 victory at Marks Tennis Stadium, Friday afternoon.
Today's win marked the first Pac-10 victory of the season for the Huskies, who had endured a four-match losing streak in conference play after starting the year with a perfect 14-0 non-conference record. The Trojans, meanwhile, fell to 12-9 overall, 1-3 in Pac-10 play.
USC claimed the doubles point winning two of three matches, but the Huskies rallied back to take four singles wins en route to the victory. Tenth-ranked sophomore Alex Vlaski earned his 28th win of the season with a straight set victory (6-3, 6-4) over Daniel Langre in the No. 2 position. Also winning their singles contests were senior Ari Strasberg, sophomore Christoph Palmanshofer and senior Dillon Ruby.
Senior Matt Hanlin, ranked No. 26, suffered just his third dual loss of the season, being upset by 53rd-ranked Prakash Amritraj at No. 1 singles (6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (4)). The No. 6 singles match between UW sophomore Peter Scharler and Jeff Kazarian was suspended.
Hanlin and Ruby paired to win the only doubles contest for Washington, a close 9-8 (4) decision over Johan Berg and Ruben Torres in the No. 2 spot.
The Huskies will look to continue their winning ways when they head across town to face the fourth-ranked Bruins of UCLA, Saturday, April 12 at 1 p.m. at the LA Tennis Center.
Washington Men's Tennis vs. USC
April 11, 2003 o Los Angeles, Calif.
#15 Washington 4, #22 USC 2
(1) Amritraj/Kazarian (USC) def. #33 Strasberg/Vlaski (Wash) - 8-4
(2) Hanlin/Ruby (Wash) def. Berg/Torres (USC) - 9-8 (4)
(3) Collins/Langre (USC) def. Palmanshofer/Scharler (Wash) - 8-0
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #53 Prakash Amritraj (USC) def. #26 Matt Hanlin (Wash) - 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (4)
(2) #10 Alex Vlaski (Wash) def. Daniel Langre (USC) - 6-3, 6-4
(3) Ari Strasberg (Wash) def. #115 Johan Berg (USC) - 2-6, 6-1, 6-2
(4) Christoph Palmanshofer (Wash) def. Ruben Torres (USC) - 2-6, 6-3, 7-6
(5) Dillon Ruby (Wash) def. Parker Collins (USC) - 6-3, 6-2
(6) Jeff Kazarian (USC) vs. Peter Scharler (Wash) - 5-2 suspended