No. 7 Washington Women's Tennis Upsets No. 2 USC 6-1
April 11, 2003
SEATTLE - Seventh-ranked Washington women's tennis (15-3 overall, 4-2 Pac-10) upset second-ranked USC (18-3 overall, 4-1 Pac-10), 6-1, Friday afternoon, marking the first win ever for the Huskies over the Trojans in the all-time series which dates back to 1993.
'Our girls have worked hard and they deserve this,' said UW head coach Patty McCain now in her sixth year. 'We have never beaten USC before and to win this was huge. We've been saying all season to get one back from the teams we have lost to last season and today was great for our team.'
Today's loss for USC was just their third of the season, falling only to then-No.2 Florida (5-1) on Feb. 8 and to then-No.2 Stanford (5-2) on April 4. The Huskies have now won three straight and 13 of their last 15 matches.
Washington's team upset was bolstered by sophomore Dea Sumantri's individual upset over fifth-ranked Jewel Peterson at No. 1 singles. Sumantri, ranked No. 37, won her 24th match of the season, with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Peterson, clinching the match in her first time playing in the No.1 position.
The Huskies got off to a good start by sweeping all three doubles matches, with the All-American tandem of Claire Carter and Darija Klaic downing Tiffany Brymer and Jewel Peterson, 8-6, to clinch the doubles point.
The Huskies will face No. 15 UCLA, Saturday, April 12, at 12 p.m. The match will be held at the Bill Quilian Stadium. Should weather force the match indoors, the site will be moved to the Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center.
Washington Women's Tennis vs. USC
April 11, 2003 o Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center
No. 7 Washington 6, No. 2 USC 1
1. (13) Carter & Klaic (UW) def. (19) Brymer & Peterson (USC) 8-6 (clinch)
2. Gray & Sumantri (UW) def. Magnani & Loyola (USC) 8-6
3. Boisclair & Hoe (UW) def. VerMuelen & Esmero (USC) 8-4
1. (37) Dea Sumantri (UW) def. (5) Jewel Peterson (USC) 6-1, 6-2 (clinch)
2. (47) Claire Carter (UW) def. (64) Maureen Diaz (USC) 6-2, 6-2
3. (58) Darija Klaic (UW) def. Anit Loyola (USC) 6-3, 6-2
4. (124) Erin Boisclair (UW) def. Tiffany Brymer (USC) 6-3, 6-2
5. Colleen Gray (UW) def. Carine VerMeulen (USC) 6-3, 6-3
6. Melissa Esmero (USC) def. Erin Hoe (UW) 3-6, 7-6, 1-0