Tennis Back On Track With 5-1 Win At Washington State
April 12, 2003
LEWISTON, Idaho -- The second-ranked USC women's tennis team returned to its winnings ways with a 5-1 victory over 46th-ranked Washington State on Saturday, April 12, in Lewiston, Idaho. With the win, the Women of Troy improve to 19-3 overall and 5-1 in the Pac-10, while the Cougars fall to 7-12, 0-7 in conference play.
The Women of Troy played without freshman Carine Vermeulen, who worsened a muscle strain on Friday against Washington. With Bernadette Bayani replacing Vermeulen in the doubles lineup, USC did not skip a beat and won all three matches for the first point of the afternoon.
USC then captured four of five singles matches to post the victory, including three two-set victories at courts one, two and four. In the remaining matches, Maureen Diaz came back after losing her first set and beat Chris Martinez 6-7, 6-0, 6-1 at No. 3 and the Cougars notched their only point as Nora Gaal defeated Tiffany Brymer, 6-4, 4-6, 7-6, at No. 5.
The Women of Troy conclude the regular season next week when they travel to face California and Stanford on Friday, April 18, and Saturday, April 19.
#2 USC 5, #46 Washington State 1
(1) #19 Brymer/Peterson (USC) def. Arias/Martinez (WSU) - 8-5
(2) Loyola/Magnani (USC) def. Sallai/Stefanchuk (WSU) - 8-2
(3) Bayani/Esmero (USC) def. Fodor/Gaal (WSU) - 8-5
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #5 Jewel Peterson (USC) def. #113 Orsolya Sallai (WSU) - 6-3, 6-2
(2) #30 Luana Magnani (USC) def. #111 Lorena Arias (WSU) - 7-5, 6-4
(3) #64 Maureen Diaz (USC) def. Chris Martinez (WSU) - 6-7, 6-0, 6-1
(4) Anita Loyola (USC) def. Annabel Stefanchuk (WSU) - 6-2, 6-4
(5) Nora Gaal (WSU) def. Tiffany Brymer (USC) - 6-4, 4-6, 7-6
(6) Melissa Esmero (USC) vs. Zsofia Fodor (WSU) - suspended
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 1:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 3:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive