Men's Tennis Cruises Past Ducks, 6-1
April 12, 2003
LOS ANGELES - The No. 23 USC men's tennis team won the doubles point and five-of-six singles matches to defeat Oregon, 6-1, on Saturday, April 12, at Marks Tennis Stadium. With the win, the Trojans improve to 13-9 overall and 2-3 in the Pac-10, while the Ducks fall to 8-11, 0-6 in conference play.
USC, playing without junior Ruben Torres who has been sick this week, was again forced to readjust its lineup. Redshirt freshman Daniel Tontz replaced Torres in doubles and freshman Scott Patterson took the No. 6 spot in singles.
'Once again we had an obstacle to overcome,' said USC head coach Peter Smith. 'We had to have people step up and they really did. Thanks to his energy and competitiveness Jeff Kazarian played his most outstanding match of the season. He was great in doubles and clinched it in singles.'
Oregon seemed to be off to a good start after winning the first match at No. 3 doubles and leading 6-5 and 7-4 on courts one and two, respectively. But the Trojans came back on both courts and eventually won the matches 8-6 and 9-7 to capture the doubles point.
After USC's Prakash Amritraj and Johan Berg captured two-set victories at the No. 1 and 2 positions to start off singles, Jeff Kazarian clinched the match for the Trojans by holding off Oregon's Andrew Walker, 6-4, 6-7(1), 6-2, at No. 5. USC won two of the remaining three matches as the Ducks managed to earn only one point with a win at No. 4.
The Trojans return to action next week in the final matches of the regular season. USC will host California on Friday, April 18, and Stanford on Saturday, April 19.
#23 USC 6, Oregon 1
(1) Amritraj/Kazarian (USC) def. Swinnen/Teig (Oregon) - 8-6
(2) Langre/Collins (USC) def. Bieri/Kost (Oregon) - 9-7
(3) Menke/Spencer (Oregon) def. Berg/Tontz (USC) - 8-4
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #53 Prakash Amritraj (USC) def. #63 Manuel Kost (Oregon) - 6-4, 6-4
(2) Daniel Langre (USC) def. Oded Teig (Oregon) - 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
(3) #115 Johan Berg (USC) def. Sven Swinnen (Oregon) - 6-3, 6-4
(4) Thomas Bieri (Oregon) def. Parker Collins (USC) - 7-6 (5), 6-2
(5) Jeff Kazarian (USC) def. Andrew Walker (Oregon) - 6-4, 6-7(1), 6-2
(6) Scott Patterson (USC) def. Jason Menke (Oregon) - 6-1, 6-4
Wed 2/21 | 7:30pm PTLive
Thu 2/22 | 6:00pm PTLive