Men's Tennis Blanks Nothern Arizona 7-0
April 16, 2003
TEMPE, Ariz. - The Arizona State men's tennis team (9-10) shutout Northern Arizona (7-16), 7-0, Wednesday afternoon at the Whiteman Tennis Center. The Sun Devils swept all three doubles matches for the first point and all six singles matches for the final six. Arizona State is now 30-0 all-time against Northern Arizona.
In doubles play, the No. 3 team of Ryan Eveloff and Jonathan Stott were first off the court with an easy 8-0 win over James Heck and Ronson Taylor followed shortly after by the No. 1 doubles team of Chris Stewart and Olivier Charroin with an 8-2 victory over Northern Arizona's Thibault Schram and Fredrik Jeppsson. Arizona State's No. 2 doubles team of Ryan McBride and Pim Van Mele completed the sweep with an 8-5 win over Jeremy Coll and Francisco Lando.
On the singles side, No. 2 Stewart overpowered Schram with a 6-3, 6-3 win. At No. 6 Eveloff dominated Heck in a double bagel 6-0, 6-0, while at No. 5 Stott finished off a nice day with a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Taylor. In a matchup of southpaws, Arizona State's Charroin rebounded nicely from losing the second set to close out Coll with a 6-1, 4-6, 6-3 victory. At the No. 1 spot, Van Mele pulled out a 6-3, 6-4 win over Jeppsson, while at No. 4 McBride was victorious over Lando 6-2, 6-3.
On Saturday, Arizona State will close out the regular season in Tucson against Arizona. The match will begin at 12:00 p.m. Arizona State won a close one 4-3 in Tempe earlier this year.
1. #24 Stewart/Charrion (ASU) def. Schram/Jeppsson (NAU) 8-2
2. McBride/Van Mele (ASU) def. Coll/Lando (NAU) 8-5
3. Eveloff/Stott (ASU) def. Heck/Taylor (NAU) 8-0
1. #81 Pim Van Mele (ASU) def. Fredrik Jeppsson (NAU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Chris Stewart (ASU) def. Thibault Schram (NAU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Olivier Charroin (ASU) def. Jeremy Coll (NAU) 6-1, 4-6, 6-3
4. Ryan McBride (ASU) def. Francisco Lando (NAU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Jonathan Stott (ASU) def. Ronson Taylor (NAU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Ryan Eveloff (ASU) def. James Heck (NAU) 6-0, 6-0