Cal Evens Series With 6-1 Win Over Women Of Troy
April 18, 2003
BERKELEY, Calif. -- Fifth-ranked California evened the series by defeating the fourth-ranked USC women's tennis team, 6-1, in the second match-up of the season, Friday at the Hellman Tennis Center. With the loss, the Women of Troy drop to 19-4 overall and 5-2 in the Pac-10, falling out of contention for a first-ever Pac-10 title. The Bears improve to 18-4, 5-1 in conference play.
Cal claimed the doubles point to start the match, but not without a fight. USC led on all three courts at one point, but eventually fell behind at courts one and two. The Trojans' Melissa Esmero and Bernadette Bayani managed to hold on at No. 3, beating Cal's Catherine Lynch and Jessica Shu, 8-6. Bayani played in place of Carine Vermeulen who remains injured.
As Esmero and Bayani walked off the court, Cal led 8-7 at No. 1 and was tied at six apiece at No. 2. Luana Magnani and Anita Loyola led Jody Scheldt and Jiuen Jacobs 6-3 at the No. 2 position, but the Cal pair took the final five consecutive games for an 8-6 decision.
With the loss at two, center court was left to battle for the doubles point. Despite a 5-3 lead by USC's Jewel Peterson and Tiffany Brymer, Cal's Christina Fusano and Raquel Kops-Jones rallied to knot the score and force a tiebreaker. The Bears eventually claimed the win 9-8 (7-4) to earn the first point of the match.
The Golden Bears maintained the momentum as they headed into singles and earned straight-set victories at Nos. 5, 4 and 6, respectively, to clinch the match. Meanwhile, courts one, two and three were still engaged in heavy competition. Loyola was the only Trojan to eventually walk away with a win as she defeated Lynch at the No. 3 position, 7-5, 6-3.
USC concludes the regular season at No. 1 Stanford on Saturday, April 19, at noon.
#5 California 6, #4 USC 1
(1) #3 Fusano/Kops-Jones (Cal) def. #19 Brymer/Peterson (USC) - 9-8 (7-4)
(2) Jacobs/Scheldt (Cal) def. Loyola/Magnani (USC) - 8-6
(3) Bayani/Esmero (USC) def. Lynch/Shu (Cal) - 8-6
Cal wins doubles point.
(1) #7 Raquel Kops-Jones (Cal) def. #5 Jewel Peterson (USC) - 6-4, 6-7 (7-2), 10-4
(2) #31 Christina Fusano (Cal) def. #64 Maureen Diaz (USC) - 6-3, 6-5
(3) Anita Loyola (USC) def. #97 Catherine Lynch (Cal) - 7-5, 6-3
(4) #53 Jieun Jacobs (Cal) def. Tiffany Brymer (USC) - 6-1, 6-2
(5) Jody Scheldt (Cal) def. #120 Melissa Esmero (USC) - 6-0, 6-0
(6) Brooke Borisoff (Cal) def. Bernadette Bayani (USC) - 6-0, 6-3