Men's Tennis Falls To Fifth-Ranked Stanford, 7-0.
April 19, 2003
LOS ANGELES -- The No. 21 USC men's tennis team proved no match for fifth-ranked Stanford, as the Trojans suffered a 7-0 loss to the Cardinal in the final outing of the regular season, Saturday at Marks Tennis Stadium. With the loss, the Trojans drop to 13-11 overall and 2-5 in the Pac-10. Stanford improves to 21-3 overall and 7-0 in the Pac-10 to clinch the regular season conference title.
A day after winning the doubles point against fourth-ranked California, USC was unable to do the same thing against the Cardinal. Stanford earned a 1-0 lead by sweeping all three doubles matches.
Singles was much of the same, as the Trojans fell in straight sets on courts two, three, four, five and six. Center court featured the most competitive match-up of the afternoon. USC's Prakash Amritraj fought to push Stanford's 12th-ranked David Martin to a third set, but eventually fell in the tiebreaker, 6-2, 3-6, 10-3.
USC will next compete at the Pac-10 Individual Tournament and Invitational, held April 24 through April 27 in Ojai, Calif.
#5 Stanford 7, #21 USC 0
(1) #2 Martin/Lipsky (Stan) def. Amritraj/Kazarian (USC) - 8-4
(2) Corkery/Pade (Stan) def. Langre/Berg (USC) - 8-4
(3) Morris/Warburg (Stan) def. Collins/Tontz (USC) - 8-5
Stanford wins doubles point.
(1) #12 David Martin (Stan) def. #53 Prakash Amritraj (USC) - 6-2, 3-6, 10-3
(2) #61 Scott Lipsky (Stan) def. Daniel Langre (USC) - 6-3, 6-4
(3) KC Corkery (Stan) def. #115 Johan Berg (USC) - 6-2, 6-2
(4) #76 Sam Warburg (Stan) def. Parker Collins (USC) - 6-3, 6-3
(5) James Pade (Stan) def. Jeff Kazarian (USC) - 6-3, 6-0
(6) Carter Morris (Stan) def. Scott Patterson (USC) - 6-3, 6-3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 12:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 5:00pm PTLive