Women's Tennis Falls Short in Season Finale
April 19, 2003
SAN DIEGO - The city of San Diego was not very kind to the Oregon women's tennis team. The No. 38 Ducks (10-15, 2-6) lost 4-3 for the second day in a row in the city, this time to the No. 63 San Diego Toreros. Oregon had lost to No. 25 San Diego State Friday afternoon.
'We were in position to win the match,' Oregon coach Nils Schyllander said. 'We just lost two three-setters there at the end.'
The Toreros took the doubles point by winning two of the three matches. The No. 28-ranked doubles tandem of Courtney Nagle and Daria Panova won at No. 1, 8-5, but the other two Duck pairs narrowly lost their matches. Ester Bak and Anna Leksinska came the closest at No. 3, losing to Lauren Leo and Lauren Perl, 9-7.
In singles play, senior captain Monika Gieczys won at the No. 3 spot in her final dual match as a Duck, 7-5, 6-3. Freshman Jamie Marshall won in straight sets at No. 4 for the second time this weekend, 6-2, 6-3. Bak rounded out Oregon's scoring at No. 6, winning in straight sets against Catherine Heppell, 6-2, 7-5.
Panova, currently ranked No. 17 in the nation, lost in three sets at No. 1, 4-6, 6-4, 6-2. Panova had to deal with leg cramps for most of the match. No. 44-ranked Nagle lost in straight sets at No. 2 after she experienced back spasms in the first set. Freshman Julie Merle had a chance to clinch the match for the Ducks at No. 5, as she was leading in the third set, 4-2. It was not meant to be for the Ducks, as San Diego's Leo came back to win the match, 6-2, 3-6, 6-4.
Oregon will compete next in the Pac-10 Championships in Ojai, Calif. The four-day event will begin Thursday.
No. 63 San Diego def. No. 38 Oregon, 4-3.
1. Emma Murphy (SD) def. No. 17 Daria Panova (UO), 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
2. Lauren Perl (SD) def. No. 44 Courtney Nagle (UO), 7-5, 6-2
3. Monika Gieczys (UO) def. Tara Livesay (SD), 7-5, 6-3
4. Jamie Marshall (UO) def. Lauren Kazarian (SD), 6-2, 6-3
5. Lauren Leo (SD) def. Julie Merle (UO), 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
6. Ester Bak (UO) def. Catherine Heppell (SD), 6-2, 7-5
1. No. 28 Nagle/Panova (UO) def. Brown/Kazarian (SD), 8-5
2. Livesay/Murphy (SD) def. Gieczys/Marshall (UO), 8-6
3. Leo/Perl (SD) def. Bak/Leksinska (UO), 9-7