Georgia Tech Defeats Cal Poly To Advance To NCAA Second Round
May 9, 2003
LOS ANGELES -- The No. 31-ranked Georgia Tech women's tennis team (14-6) defeated No. 54 Cal Poly (20-7), 4-0, in the first round of the 2003 NCAA Championships played at the USC Marks Tennis Stadium in Los Angeles on Friday. With the victory, the Yellow Jackets advance to the second round and will face the winner of the USC-Sacramento State match-up to be played this afternoon.
Georgia Tech started the afternoon with a strong performance in doubles. The Yellow Jackets jumped out to a 7-1 lead at No. 3, while the two teams paced each other point-for-point at the No. 1 and 2 positions. Cal Poly's Kristen Grady and Chelsy Thompson managed to hold Georgia Tech's Kacie Anson and Sekita Grant for three points at court three, but eventually fell to the Yellow Jackets, 8-4. Soon after, Georgia Tech's Jaime Wong and Kelly Anderson posted an 8-4 win over the Mustangs' Kate Romm and Danielle Hustedt to clinch the doubles point. The No. 2 match was suspended at 7-2.
The Yellow Jackets took their momentum into singles play and captured the first set on five of six courts. Anderson earned the first win, defeating Cal Poly's Chelsy Thompson, 6-2, 6-4, at No. 3 to give Georgia Tech a 2-0 lead. The Jackets then took a 3-0 lead as Grant beat Romm at court six, 6-3, 6-2. The final point was a more difficult task as Cal Poly pushed Georgia Tech to a third set at courts one, two and four. The Jackets' Mysti Morris eventually completed the sweep with a 7-5, 2-6, 6-2 win over Grady at No. 4 and the remaining matches were suspended.
Following are complete results.
NCAA Championship First Round
#31 Georgia Tech 4, #54 Cal Poly 0
(1) Wong/Anderson (G Tech) def. Romm/Hustedt (Cal Poly) - 8-4
(2) Morris/Shosho (G Tech) vs. Galido/Waller (Cal Poly) - 7-2, suspended
(3) Kacie Anson/Grant(G Tech) def. Grady/Thompson (Cal Poly) - 8-4
Georgia Tech wins doubles point.
(1) Catherine Gunn (G Tech) vs. Danielle Hustedt (Cal Poly) - 6-4, 2-6, 1-5 suspended
(2) Jaime Wong (G Tech) vs. Samantha Waller (Cal Poly) - 6-3, 6-7, 1-0 suspended
(3) Kelly Anderson (G Tech) def. Chelsy Thompson (Cal Poly) - 6-2, 6-4
(4) Mysti Morris (G Tech) def. Kristen Grady (Cal Poly) - 7-5, 2-6, 6-2
(5) Lyndsay Shosho (G Tech) vs. Sheila Lewis (Cal Poly) - 6-7, 4-5 suspended
(6) Sekita Grant (G Tech) def. Kate Romm (Cal Poly) - 6-3, 6-2
Order of finish: 3, 6, 4