Fresno State Ousts San Diego State In NCAA Regionals
May 10, 2003
TEMPE, Ariz. - In the first round of the 2003 NCAA Women's Tennis Regional at Arizona State's Whiteman Tennis Center, Fresno State easily advanced with a 4-0 victory over San Diego State Saturday morning.
In doubles action, Fresno State took command early in all three matches. The Bulldogs No. 3 team of Vlatka Jovanovic and Kristy McRae provided the first victory of the day with an 8-2 win over the Aztecs Patricia Graf and Katalina Romero. Shortly after, the Bulldogs closed out the doubles portion when their No. 1 team of Chloe Carlotti and Lucia Tallo defeated Indra Ericksen and Silvia Tornier of San Diego State by an 8-2 margin. With their two victories, the Bulldogs earned the first point of the morning.
In singles action, Fresno State captured the first three matches to advance to the Regional Finals. The Bulldogs No. 2 Lucia Tallo was the first off the court with a 6-3, 6-2 win over the Aztecs Lindsey Hedberg. Immediately after gaining point number two, Fresno State's Kathrin Winterhalter defeated Patricia Graf of San Diego State 6-4, 6-2. To close out the match, Fresno State's Lucia Sainz was victorious over San Diego State's Katalina Romero 6-4, 6-3. The Aztecs end their season 22-6.
Fresno State (17-7) has advanced to the Finals of the 2003 NCAA Women's Regional where they will square off against the winner of Arizona State vs. Illinois-Chicago at noon on Sunday.
1. Chloe Carlotti (FSU) vs. Silvia Tornier (SDSU) 5-7, 3-2 DNF
2. Lucia Tallo (FSU) def. Lindsey Hedberg (SDSU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Lucia Sainz (FSU) def. Katalina Romero (SDSU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Vlatka Jovanovic (FSU) vs. Katja Karrento (SDSU) 7-5, 2-1 DNF
5. Kathrin Winterhalter (FSU) def. Patricia Graf (SDSU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Kristy McRae (FSU) vs. Indra Erichsen (SDSU) 2-6, 6-4 DNF
1. Carlotti/Tallo (FSU) def. Erichsen/Tornier (SDSU) 8-2
2. Sainz/Winterhalter (FSU) vs. Hedberg/Karrento (SDSU) 7-3 DNF
3. Jovanovic/McRae (FSU) def. Graf/Romero (SDSU) 8-2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 1:30pm PTLive
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive