Women's Tennis Advances To Second Round With 4-0 Win Over Illinois-Chicago
May 10, 2003
TEMPE, Ariz. - Head coach Sheila McInerney recorded her 300th career win as the No. 15 seed Arizona State women's tennis team shut out Illinois-Chicago, 4-0, Saturday afternoon in First Round NCAA Regional action at the Whiteman Tennis Center. The Sun Devils will face Fresno State in a second round match on Sunday at 12:00 p.m. for the right to move onto Gainesville, Florida for the Round of 16 Team Championship. Arizona State's overall record improves to 10-10, while Illinois-Chicago end their season with a 17-7 record.
The Devils jumped out early by taking two of the three doubles matches for the first point. ASU duo of Joslynn Burkett and Megan Yeats came off first with an 8-2 win over UCI's Athanasia Giannoulopoulou and Zvjezdana Malesevic. ASU clinched the point on the No. 2 court when Mhairi Brown and Cindy Sureephong defeated Ayca Gumuscu and Molly Smith, 8-3.
In singles play, ASU's No. 1 and the seventh-ranked player in the country Adria Engel easily posted the Devils' second point with a 6-0, 6-1 win over Nicole Derouin. Sureephong followed on the No. 4 court with ASU's third point as she defeated Malesevic, 6-1, 6-1. Dora Krstulovic clinched the fourth point and the dual with a 7-5, 6-0 victory over Gumuscu on the No. 2 court.
Arizona State 4Illinois-Chicago 0
1. #7 Adria Engel (ASU) def. Nicole Derouin (UCI), 6-0, 6-1
2. #56 Dora Krstulovic (ASU) def. Ayca Gumuscu (UCI), 7-5, 6-0
3. Mhairi Brown (ASU) vs. Corey Steven (UCI) DNF (Brown leading 6-3, 2-1)
4. Cindy Sureephong (ASU) def. Zvjezdana Malesevic (UCI), 6-1, 6-1
5. Lauren Colalillo (ASU) vs. Molly Smith (UCI) DNF (Colalillo leading 7-5, 2-1)
6. Joslynn Burkett (ASU) vs. Athanasia Giannoulopoulou (UCI) DNF (Burkett Leading 4-6, 6-1, 3-0)
1. Colalillo/Engel (ASU) vs. Derouin (UCI), DNF (ASU leading 5-3)
2. Brown/Sureephong (ASU) def. Gumuscu/Smith (UCI), 8-3
3. Burkett/Yeats (ASU) def. Giannoulopoulou/Malesevic (UCI), 8-2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 10:30am PTLive
TOMORROW | 4:00pm PTLive