Women's Tennis Upset by Harvard in Round Two of NCAA Tournament
May 10, 2003
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - The 16th-seeded Arizona women's tennis team suffered an upset at the hands of Harvard on Saturday in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. The 4-3 loss marks the end of the Wildcats' season.
The Crimson started the match by winning the doubles point with victories over Arizona in the first and third spots. The Cats' No. 24 duo of graduate student Emilie Scribot and sophomore Maja Mlakar fell to Harvard's Courtney Bergman and Susanna Lingman, 8-3. In the third position, sophomores Dianne Hollands and Kelly Perry were defeated by Melissa Anderson and Eva Wang, 8-6.
In singles action, the Wildcats tallied wins in the three positions, leaving the deciding match to Scribot in the No. 1 spot. Mlakar defeated Lingman in the second spot, 7-5, 6-4, Hollands won in the third spot versus Alexis Martire, 6-2, 6-1, and Perry scored a point for the Cats in the fifth spot over Sanja Bajin, 6-4, 7-5. In the top position, No. 5 Scribot battled with No. 46 Bergman. Bergman took the first set, 6-3, but fell to Scribot in the second set by the same score. The third and deciding set was tied at three apiece before Bergman took over and scored the final three points, upsetting Scribot by a final score of 6-3, 3-6, 6-3. Bergman's victory sends Harvard to the Sweet 16 in Gainesville, Fla.
The Wildcats ended the season ranked No. 22, with three singles players in the top 50 and one doubles team in the top 25. Scribot finished at No. 5, Mlakar at No. 29, and Hollands at No. 45. Mlakar and Scribot teamed up to rank No. 24.
1. Courtney Bergman (HU) def. Emilie Scribot (UA), 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
2. Maja Mlakar (UA) def. Susanna Lingman (HU), 7-5, 6-4
3. Dianne Hollands (UA) def. Alexis Martire (HU), 6-2, 6-1
4. Eva Wang (HU) def. Debbie Larocque (UA), 6-1, 6-0
5. Kelly Perry (UA) def. Sanja Bajin (HU), 6-4, 7-5
6. Melissa Anderson (HU) def. Kristy Randono (UA), 7-6, 7-4, 6-1
1. Bergman/Lingman (HU) def. Mlakar/Scribot (UA), 8-3
2. Bakin/Martire (HU) vs. Randono/Larocque (UA), suspended
3. Anderson/Wang (HU) def. Hollands/Perry (UA), 8-6
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 5:30pm PTLive