Men's Tennis Ends Season With 4-0 Loss At UCLA
May 11, 2003
LOS ANGELES ï¿½- The No. 21-ranked USC men's tennis team ended their 2003 NCAA Tournament run with a 4-0 loss to sixth-seeded UCLA in a second-round match played on Sunday afteroon at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. The Trojans complete their season with a 14-12 record, while the Bruins improve to 22-3 and advance to the Round of 16 in Athen, Ga.
UCLA won two-of-three doubles matches to take a 1-0 lead in the match with victories on court Nos. 1 and 3. The Trojans managed to keep UCLA from sweeping on all three courts when Daniel Langre and Parker Collins upset No. 51 Tobias Clemens and Lassi Ketola, 8-4, on court two.
In singles play, UCLA went ahead 2-0 when fifth-ranked Tobias Clemens posted a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Prakash Amritraj at center court. Not long after, the Bruins' Erfan Djahangiri gave UCLA a 3-0 advantage with a 6-1, 6-1 victory of his own at No. 5 singles over Parker COllins.
The match was clinched at the No. 4 position, where UCLA's Chris Lam captured a 6-1, 6-3 win over USC's Ruben Torres.
The 2003 season is not completely over for USC's Prakash Amritraj and Daniel Langre. Amritraj will compete at the NCAA Singles Championships, while the duo will compete at the DOubles Championships. The NCAA Individual Championships begin on Wednesday, May 21, in Athens.
NCAA Second Round
May 11, 2003 - Los Angeles Tennis Center
(1) #24 Grilli/Matkowski (UCLA) def. #48 Amritraj/Jeff Kazarian (USC) - 8-6
(2) #52 Collins/Langre (USC) def. #51 Clemens/Lassi Ketola (UCLA) - 8-4
(3) Djahangiri/Francis (UCLA) def. Berg/Torres (USC) - 8-4
UCLA wins doubles point.
(1) #5 Tobias Clemens (UCLA) def. #43 Prakash Amritraj (USC) - 6-1, 6-1
(2) #24 Marcin Matkowski (UCLA) vs. Johan Berg (USC) - Susp.
(3) #98 Rodrigo Grilli (UCLA) vs. Daniel Langre (USC) - Susp.
(4) #37 Chris Lam (UCLA) def. Ruben Torres (USC) - 6-1, 6-3*
(5) #88 Erfan Djahangiri (UCLA) def. Parker Collins (USC) - 6-1, 6-1
(6) Lassi Ketola (UCLA) vs. Scott Patterson (USC) - Susp.
* Denotes Clinching Match
Order of Finish (Singles): 1, 5, 4