Women's Tennis Blanks K-State In Round Of 16
May 15, 2003
GAINESVILLE, Fla. - The fifth-seeded and fifth-ranked USC women's tennis team (21-5) advanced to the quarterfinals of the 2003 NCAA Women's Tennis Championships after easily defeating unseeded Kansas State (15-7), 4-0, Thursday evening in the Round of 16 at the Ring Tennis Complex in Gainesville, Fla.
'I think it was important psychologically for us to try to gain the early advantage and hopefully give them the feeling that this was the end of the road,' said USC head coach Richard Gallien, who will be making his fourth appearance in the NCAA Quarterfinals with the Women of Troy. 'We expected them to be really spirited and really emotional, but we were really sharp and I think we zapped some of their emotion.'
The Women of Troy took the doubles point in less than 40 minutes with 8-1 and 8-2 wins from the pairs of Carine Vermeulen/Melissa Esmero and Anita Loyola/Luana Magnani. Loyola and Magnani were racing to clinch the doubles point as Tiffany Brymer and Jewel Peterson were simultaneously serving for their match, 7-1, at center court.
USC continued its quick pace as Vermeulen picked up the Trojans' first singles point by defeating Kansas State's Aveen Alkhatib, 6-1, 6-0, at No. 6. Magnani, ranked No. 21 by the ITA, needed just a little more than an hour to defeat Kansas State's Maria Rosenberg, 6-3, 6-1, at No. 2 to give USC a 3-0 lead.
Senior Maureen Diaz sealed the Trojans' victory minutes later with a 6-2, 6-2 decision against the Wildcats' Jessica Simosa.
The Women of Troy will now play California in the quarterfinals tomorrow at 2 p.m. EST. The Bears beat North Carolina, 4-1, to advance.
2003 NCAA Championships - Round of 16
#5 USC 4, #45 Kansas State 0
(1) Peterson/Brymer (USC) vs. Castillejos/Sedimajerova (KSU) - 7-1 suspended
(2) Loyola/Magnani (USC) def. Rosenberg/Simosa (KSU) - 8-2*
(3) Vermeulen/Esmero (USC) def. McIver/Alkhatib (KSU) - 8-1
USC wins doubles point.
(1) Jewel Peterson (USC) vs. Petra Sedlmajerova (KSU) - 6-2, 3-4 suspended
(2) Luana Magnani (USC) def. Maria Rosenberg (KSU) - 6-3, 6-1
(3) Maureen Diaz (USC) def. Jessica Simosa (KSU) - 6-2, 6-2*
(4) Anita Loyola (USC) vs. Hayley McIver (KSU) - 6-2, 5-3 suspended
(5) Tiffany Brymer (USC) vs. Paulina Castillejos (KSU) - 7-6 (4) suspended
(6) Carine Vermeulen (USC) def. Aveen Alkhatib (KSU) - 6-1, 6-0