Cal Visits No. 5 Texas Tech Monday
Dec. 1, 2003
BERKELEY, Calif. -
A LOOK AT THE GOLDEN BEARS
After losing a close contest in the championship game of the Coors Classic to No. 16 Colorado, California (3-1) wraps ups its only non-conference road trip of the season at No. 5 Texas Tech on Monday, Dec. 1 at 7 p.m. CT (5 p.m. PT). The Golden Bears then return to Berkeley to host the 13th-annual Oakland Tribune Classic on Saturday-Sunday, Dec. 6-7. The other three teams in the tournament are Wichita State, Tulane and Miami (OH).
Texas Tech (6-0) is the first Top 5 team the Golden Bears have faced since they lost twice to No. 3 Stanford during the 2001-02 season.
The last time Cal defeated a team ranked in the USA Today-ESPN-WBCA poll was Feb. 10, 2001, in Berkeley when the Bears held off No. 23 Oregon, 68-57. Cal's last victory over a team ranked in the Associated Press poll occurred Dec. 21, 1998, in an 80-75 decision over No. 9 Colorado State in the championship game of the Oakland Tribune Classic.
Four games into the season, Cal has already posted several noteworthy accomplishments:- First time since the 1986-87 season that the Bears have defeated three straight teams by at least 19 points and only the fourth time overall in school history (also in the 1977-78 and 1981-82 seasons).
- Posted a 31-point season-opening win over South Carolina State, its second-biggest season-opening win (biggest was a 37-point win over Cal Poly in 1997-98)
- Set the Cal women's Haas Pavilion points record with a 90-67 win over San Jose State, the Bears' first 90-point effort since the aforementioned Cal Poly game
- Posted 28 steals against South Carolina State, one shy of the 1995 school record set vs. Arizona State.
- Has forced two opponents into 30 or more turnovers
- Team scoring average is at 74.2 ppg after averaging 57.6 ppg a year ago, while the Bears are holding opponents to 58.8 ppg, compared to 64.2 ppg last year
- Leigh Gregory tied the Cal free throw percentage record with her 10-of-10 effort vs. San Jose State.
- Nihan Anaz has posted double-figure points in all four games and leads Cal at 15.8 ppg after pacing the club at 10.1 ppg in 2002-03.
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
Thu 5/24 | 4:00pm PTLive
Thu 5/24 | 7:00pm PTLive