Getting To Know Laura Terheyden
Jan. 15, 2004
1. Q: How did you get involved with crew?
A: I played other sports in high school like basketball and volleyball. I was good, but I didn't get a lot of playing time. I wanted an off season sport and my sister mentioned crew, and said that they seemed like a group that was close knit and had a lot of fun. By my sophomore year, I stopped playing basketball and volleyball so I could do crew.
2. Q: What other schools did you consider attending/recruited you?
A: University of Washington, Virginia, Brown, Michigan, and Princeton
3. Q: Why did you choose Cal?
A: It was close to home, and it had a very friendly, laid-back atmosphere. I wanted to go to a good academic school that also had a good crew program. When I came to visit all the girls were really nice, hardworking, and fun. [Head coach] Dave [O'Neill] was a great recruiter and made me feel comfortable.
4. Q: What's your pre-race routine?
A: I'm not really superstitious, but I always take a shower, make sure my uniform is clean, and just try to center myself and stay low key.
5. Q: You live with other teammates, what is that like?
A: It definitely helps to live with other members of the team. We are all really supportive of each other. We can talk about practice, where we stand in the boat, and things like that. It also helps to all be on the same schedule. I could never live with someone who sleeps until 11.
6. Q: What are the last three CD's you've bought?
A: Ben Harper, Red Hot Chili Peppers.
7. Q: What's your favorite thing to eat/drink that you probably shouldn't have during crew?
A: I love Coke, but I try and stay away from soda. It's pretty easy to eat healthy living with three other rowers.
8. Q: What is your greatest achievement in crew?
A: In college, it was getting third at nationals. On the Junior National team, it was getting second at the Junior Worlds in Germany.
9. Q: Who is your hero/idol?
A: In Crew - my high school coach Jen Hayden. She always pushed me and helped keep me motivated. She helped a lot when I was on the Junior National team. She made the sport fun. Non Crew - my mom, for sure. She is in her last semester of law school.
10. Q: What's your ultimate goal in crew?
A: I would really love to win a national championship. I don't know if I'll still row after college, but I want to be involved with it. I will most likely coach; I'm not sure what age yet. I definitely want to make a career out of it.
11. Q: What do you plan to do after Cal?
A: Maybe law school. I just picked my major, sociology, so I'm not sure what I want to do yet.
12. Q: What do you do in your spare time?
A: Sleep. We have game nights sometimes where we play Cranium.
13. Q: What's your favorite sport other than crew to play? To watch?
A: Volleyball. Basketball.