Men's Tennis Wins Two In Doubleheader
Jan. 24, 2004
LOS ANGELES - The No. 21 USC men's tennis team defeated the Cal Poly Mustangs, 6-1, and the Fresno State Bulldogs, 5-2, in a tennis doubleheader on Saturday at USC's Marks Tennis Stadium. With the wins, the Trojans open the season with a 2-0 record, while Cal Poly and Fresno State each drop to 2-2.
In the first match against Cal Poly, the two teams decided to begin with singles play in case of rain. The Trojans came out strong winning five of the six singles. Ruben Torres made quick work of Travis Crawford, 6-0, 6-0, to pick up the first point for Troy. USC's Drew Hoskins clinched the match by defeating Cal Poly's Nick Tracy, 6-1, 6-4, on court two. Cal Poly was able to avoid the singles sweep when USC's Daniel Langre retired due to injury against Matt Baca.
The Trojans also picked up the doubles point, winning two of three matches. Hoskins and Johan Berg defeated the Mustangs' Brett Van Linge and John Nguyen, 8-3, on center court. Brian Wright and Jamil Al-Agba secured the doubles point for USC by defeating Crawford and Davey Jones, 8-2.
In the second match of the day, the Bulldogs started off by taking the doubles point. Fresno State's Greg Shearer and Stefan Suta defeated Berg and Hoskins, 8-5, on center court. Jakub Cech and Alex Krohn secured the doubles point by defeating Troy's Wright and Adriano Biasella, 8-4.
Singles play was again was a strong point for the Trojans as they won on five of six courts. Berg clinched the match for USC by defeating Shearer, 6-3, 1-6, 6-3 on center court. Wright closed out singles play with a 4-6, 7-5, 6-3 victory over the Bulldogs' Andy Sinn on court six.
'I like to see us fight through a long hard day to start the season,' said head coach Peter Smith. 'I like pushing our guys to see just how tough we are. This was a great day to help us prepare for next Friday's match against UCLA.'
Up next, the Trojans take on UCLA on Friday, Jan. 30, at 1:30 p.m. at the L.A. Tennis Club.
#21 USC 6, Cal Poly 1
(1) Hoskins/Berg (USC) def. Van Lingle/Nguyen (CP) - 8-3
(2) Baca/Tracy (CP) def. Collins/Biasella (USC) - 9-8
(3) Wright/Al-Agba (USC) def. Crawford/Jones (CP) - 8-2
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #35 Johan Berg (USC) def. John Nguyen (CP) - 6-2, 6-1
(2) #59 Drew Hoskins (USC) def. Nick Tracy (CP) - 6-1, 6-4
(3) Jamil Al-Agba (USC) def. Brett Van Linge (CP) - 6-1, 6-0
(4) Adriano Biasella (USC) def. Davey Jones (TCU) - 7-5, 6-2
(5) Matt Baca (CP) def. Daniel Langre (USC) - 7-5, ret. injury
(6) #51 Ruben Torres (USC) def. Travis Crawford (CP) - 6-0, 6-0
#21 USC 5, Fresno State 2
(1) Shearer/Suta (FSU) def. Hoskins/Berg (USC) - 8-5
(2) Cech/Krohn (FSU) def. Wright/Biasella (USC) - 8-4
(3) Torres/Collins (USC) def. Kekez/Sinn (FSU) - 8-4
Fresno State wins doubles point.
(1) #35 Johan Berg (USC) def. Greg Shearer (FSU) - 6-3, 1-6, 6-3
(2) Alex Krohn (FSU) def. #59 Drew Hoskins (USC) - 6-3, 1-6, 6-2
(3) Jamil Al-Agba (USC) def. Stefan Suta (FSU) - 6-1, 6-4
(4) Adriano Biasella (USC) def. Jakub Cech (FSU) - 6-2, 6-2
(5) #51 Ruben Torres (USC def. Jure Kekez (FSU) - 6-3, 6-0
(6) Brian Wright (USC) def. Andy Sinn (FSU) - 4-6, 7-5, 6-3