Husky Women Take Care of Idaho, 7-0, For Second Straight Win
Jan. 25, 2004
SEATTLE, Wash. - The seventh-ranked Washington women's tennis team wrapped up their opening weekend homestand with a resounding 7-0 shutout of the Idaho Vandals at Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center. The women have yet to lose a single set in any match in improving to 2-0 in the early season, having swept Portland in a similarly dominating manner on Friday.
49th-ranked Dea Sumantri (Jakarta, Indonesia) stepped into the No. 1 singles spot and routed Sunel Nieuwoudt 6-2, 6-0. The same dominance held true at number two singles, where 35th-ranked Claire Carter ripped through Monica Martin, 6-1, 6-0. The senior Carter (Nottingham, England) dropped only the one game combined between her singles and doubles match, where she teamed up with the junior Sumantri for an 8-0 blanking of Idaho at the top doubles position. Sumantri and Carter rank eleventh nationally in doubles and are playing at a very high level after winning the Pac-10 Indoor Championship doubles title last weekend.
Washington clinched the match quickly when sophomore Dinka Hadzic (Split, Croatia) defeated Mariel Tinnirello 6-1, 6-1. Also picking up wins for the Huskies was senior Erin Hoe (Mililani, Hawaii) at No. 3 singles, 6-2, 6-2, and 90th-ranked freshman Saskia Nauenberg (Santa Cruz, Calif.), who notched her second career dual win, 6-4, 6-2. Closing out the match for the Huskies was junior Mugette Ahn (Los Angeles, Calif.), who needed several match points before Patricia Ruman succumbed, 6-1, 6-4, at No. 6 singles.
The Huskies ran their series record against Idaho to an unblemished 14-0.
Up next the women continue their opening three-match homestand against 45th-ranked BYU, Saturday Jan. 31 at 10:30 a.m. at the Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center.
Washington Women's Tennis vs. Idaho
January 25, 2004 - Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center
No. 7 Washington 7, Idaho 0
1. (29) Carter & Sumantri (UW) def. Nieuwoudt & Tinnirello (Idaho) 8-0
2. Hoe & Ahn (UW) def. Konishi & Hubbard (Idaho) 8-2
3. Hadzic & Nauenberg (UW) def. Fielding & Ruman (Idaho) 8-4
1. (49) Dea Sumantri (UW) def. Sunel Nieuwoudt (Idaho) 6-2, 6-0
2. (35) Claire Carter (UW) def. Monica Martin (Idaho) 6-0, 6-1
3. Erin Hoe (UW) def. Jessica Hubbard (Idaho) 6-2, 6-2
4. Dinka Hadzic (UW) def. Mariel Tinnirello (Idaho) 6-1, 6-1
5. (90) Saskia Nauenberg (UW) def. Kareen Konishi (Idaho) 6-4, 6-2
6. Mugette Ahn (UW) def. Patricia Ruman (Idaho) 6-1, 6-4
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/27 | 2:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/27 | 5:00pm PTLive