Fifth-Ranked Women Of Troy Defeat Bruins, 4-3
Jan. 30, 2004
LOS ANGELES - In what proved to be an exciting and close match-up, the fifth-ranked USC women's tennis team defeated No. 11 UCLA, 4-3, on Friday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium. With the win, the Women of Troy (4-0) earn the first 2.5 women's tennis points towards the Lexus Gauntlet - a year-long all-sports competition between USC and UCLA.
UCLA (1-1) captured the first doubles win of the afternoon with an 8-5 decision at court two, but the Women of Troy answered with wins at No. 1 and 3 to secure the doubles point. Luana Magnani and Carine Vermeulen upset the Bruins' third-ranked Jackie Carleton and Lauren Fisher, 9-7, at center court. Dianne Matias and Anca Anastasiu followed with a 9-7 win at court three over Laura Gordon and Alex McGoodwin.
With a 1-0 lead heading into singles, the Women of Troy who won the first set on four courts. Bernadette Bayani gave USC a 2-0 advantage with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Gordon at No. 6 and Matias posted the Trojans' third point by beating McGoodwin, 6-4, 6-4, at No. 4.
The Bruins earned their first point of the match when USC freshman Judy DeVera, who was leading 6-1, 3-1 at court five, was forced to default the match after suffering a sprained left ankle.
Ahead 3-1 in the match, the Trojans looked as if they would close it out at center court. Magnani led 6-4, 4-1 in the second set before UCLA's Carleton rallied to win five-straight games and send the match into a third set, just as courts two and three were also entering a third.
For the second straight match, it was the Trojans' Anastasiu who came away with the match-clinching victory. Following Vermeulen's loss to Bercek at No. 2 to bring UCLA within one, 3-2, Anastasiu came back to defeat Esseghir, 3-6, 6-3, 6-3, at the No. 3 position for USC's fourth point.
Carleton wrapped up the afternoon by defeating Magnani, 4-6, 6-4, 6-3 at center court.
#5 USC 4, #11 UCLA 3
(1) #42 Magnani/Vermeulen (USC) def. #3 Carleton/Fisher (UCLA) - 9-7
(2) Bercek/Esseghir (UCLA) def. Esmero/DeVera (USC) - 8-5
(3) Anastasiu/Matias (USC) def. Gordon/McGoodwin (UCLA) - 9-7*
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #17 Jackie Carleton (UCLA) def. #24 Luana Magnani (USC) - 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
(2) Daniela Bercek (UCLA) def. #70 Carine Vermeulen (USC) - 2-6, 6-1, 6-2
(3) Anca Anastasiu (USC) def. Feriel Esseghir (UCLA) - 3-6, 6-3, 6-3*
(4) Dianne Matias (USC) def. Alex McGoodwin (UCLA) - 6-4, 6-4
(5) Sarah Gregg (UCLA) def. Judy DeVera (USC) - 1-6, 1-3 default (inj.)
(6) Bernadette Bayani (USC) def. Laura Gordon (UCLA) - 6-1, 6-1
* match clinching point
Order of finish: 6, 5, 4, 2, 3, 1
- GO SC -
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive