No. 38 Arizona Men's Tennis Falls to No. 22 Rice
Jan. 30, 2004
HOUSTON, Texas - The No. 38 Arizona men's tennis team fell to 1-1 Friday, Jan. 30 after losing to No. 22 Rice, 4-2. The victory raised Rice's record to 4-0. The match took almost seven hours and was held in two separate venues. Arizona earned the doubles point and could only manage to win one singles match against the Owls.
The match began at 11:00 a.m. outdoors at the Bentwater Country Club, but after a rain delay the match was moved to the indoor courts at Met Business and Sports Club.
The Wildcats won the double point by winning two of the three matches 9-7. Junior Colin O'Grady and sophomore Roger Matalonga defeated Tony Haerle and Vuk Rajevac, 9-7. Also earning a victory was the pair of Seniors Whi Kim and Tom Lloyd. The duo defeated Robert Searle and Ben Harknett, 9-7. Junior Paul Warkentin and sophomore Daniel Andrus fell to the No. 3 ranked team of William and Richard Barker, 8-5.
In singles action, Matalonga earned Arizona's only other point by defeating Vuk Rajevac, 6-4, 6-0, giving Arizona the lead in the match 2-0.
At the Met, the Owls took over the match earning victories on four of the five matches that finished. No. 15 Searle defeated Kim, 6-4, 6-3, in the top spot. No. 22 William Barker defeated No. 84 Lloyd in straight sets, 6-3, 6-3 in the No. 2 position. No. 67 Richard Barker needed three sets to defeat O'Grady on court three, 6-2, 6-7, 6-2. In the No. 4 slot, Andrus fell to Tony Haerle, 6-3 6-4.
The Wildcats are back in action again Saturday, Jan. 31, as they face Fresno State in Houston, Texas. First serve is scheduled for 10:00 a.m.
1) #3 Barker/Barker (RU) def. Andrus/Warkentin (UA), 8-5
2) O'Grady/Matalonga (UA) def. Haerle/Rajevac (RU), 9-7
3) Kim/Lloyd (UA) def. Ben Harknett/Searle (RU), 9-7
1) #15 Robert Searle (RU) def. Whi Kim (UA), 6-4, 6-3
2) #22 William Barker (RU) def. #86 Tom Lloyd (UA), 6-3, 6-3
3) #67 Richard Barker (RU) def. Colin O'Grady (UA), 6-2, 6-7, 6-2
4) Tony Haerle (RU) def. Daniel Andrus (UA), 6-3, 6-4
5) Roger Matalonga (UA) def. Vuk Rajevac (RU), 6-4, 6-0
6) Jason Mok (RU) vs. Paul Warkentin (UA), 6-4, 3-6, suspended
TOMORROW | 1:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 3:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive