Singles Play Keys 7-0 Victory For 11th-Ranked Washington Over No. 72 Pacific
Jan. 30, 2004
SEATTLE, Wash. - Dominant singles play propelled the 11th-ranked Washington men's tennis team (2-0) to a 7-0 sweep of the 72nd-ranked Pacific Tigers (0-1). For the second consecutive match the Husky singles players did not drop a set thanks to a number of pinpoint passing shots under pressure in tight sets.
The battle for the doubles point was a competitive one. Washington's 11th-ranked team of freshman Alex Slovic and junior Alex Vlaski downed Pacific's Lannart Maack and Nicolas Otte 8-5 at No. 1 doubles, but Pacific evened it up at a match apiece with an 8-6 win at No. 3 doubles over junior Scott Felsenthal (Memphis, Tenn.) and freshman Mike Ricks. Ricks (Orinda, Calif.) was making his Husky dual debut. Making their doubles debut as a team in 2004, juniors Cristoph Palmanshofer (St. Joergen, Austria) and Peter Scharler (Salzburg, Austria) beat out their opponents at the second doubles slot, 8-6, to clinch the doubles point for the Huskies.
The number one singles spot pitted Washington's Vlaski (Belgrade, Yugoslavia) against Pacific's Arnar Sigurdsson in a rematch of the number two singles match in 2003, which Vlaski won in three close sets. The Husky junior ranked second in the nation had a much easier time this year, dispatching Sigurdsson 6-1, 6-3.
The No. 3 and 4 singles matches were the last two left on court as the 61st-ranked Palmanshofer and freshman Daniel Chu (Vancouver, B.C.) came through in second set tiebreaks to run Washington's overall singles set record to 24-0 over two matches. Senior Nick Weiss (Santa Monica, Calif.) made his 2004 dual debut in singles for Washington and had no trouble with Pacific's Alan Kelly, winning 6-2, 6-1. Also picking up straight set wins were 53rd-ranked Slovic (Pancevo, Yugoslavia) at No. 2 singles and Scharler at the fifth singles slot.
Washington takes the court again tomorrow, Jan. 31, at 2 p.m. against No. 61 Brigham Young at the Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center.
Washington Men's Tennis vs. Pacific
January 30, 2004 - Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center
No. 11 Washington 7, No. 72 Pacific 0
1. (11) Slovic & Vlaksi (UW) def. Maack & Otte (Pacific) 8-5
2. Palmanshofer & Scharler (UW) def. Sigurdsson & Zdravkovic (Pacific) 8-6
3. Duong & Kelly (Pacific) def. Felsenthal & Ricks (UW) 8-6
1. (2) Alex Vlaski (UW) def. Arnar Sigurdsson (Pacific) 6-1, 6-3
2. (53) Alex Slovic (UW) def. Lannart Maack (Pacific) 6-4, 6-3
3. (61) Christoph Palmanshofer (UW) def. Vladimir Zdravkovic (Pacific) 6-4, 7-6 (4)
4. Daniel Chu (UW) def. Nicolas Otte (Pacific) 6-2, 7-6 (4)
5. Peter Scharler (UW) def. Michael Duong (Pacific) 6-4, 6-1
6. Nick Weiss (UW) def. Alan Kelly (Pacific) 6-2, 6-1