No. 38 Arizona Men's Tennis defeats No. 37 Fresno State
Jan. 31, 2004
HOUSTON, Texas - The No. 38 Arizona men's tennis team defeated No. 37 Fresno State, 4-3, Saturday, Jan. 31. The Wildcats swept the doubles matches and split the singles matches on their way to the 4-3 victory. The victory raises Arizona's record to 2-1, while Fresno State falls to 2-3 on the season.
Arizona handled the Bull Dogs out of the gates by earning the doubles point by winning all three matches. On court one, junior Paul Warkentin and sophomore Daniel Andrus defeated Greg Shearer and Stefan Suta, 8-5. In the No. 2 position, junior Colin O'Grady and sophomore Roger Matalonga beat Alex Krohn and Jakub Cech, 8-5. On court three, seniors Whi Kim and Tom Lloyd earned a victory over Sergiu Modoc and Jure Kekez, 8-1.
In singles action, the Wildcats earned victories on the bottom three courts. Matalonga remains unbeaten this spring as he defeated Modoc on court four, 6-1, 6-3. He improves his record to 3-0 in singles and 3-0 in doubles. Andrus beat Cech in straight sets in the No. 5 position, 6-4, 6-4. Warkentin clinched the match after defeating Kekez, 6-4, 3-6, 6-1.
On court one, Kim fell to Shearer, 7-6, 6-4. No. 84 Lloyd lost to Krohn, 6-0, 6-1, in the No. 2 position. Playing in the No. 3 slot, O'Grady fell to Suta, 6-3, 6-3.
The Wildcats will be in action again on Friday, Feb. 6, when they host Sacramento State in Tucson, Arizona. First serve is scheduled for 1:30 p.m.
1. Warkentin/Andrus (UA) def. Shearer/Suta (FS) - 8-5
2. O'Grady/Matalonga (UA) def. Krohn/Cech (FU) - 8-5
3. Lloyd/Kim (UA) def. Modoc/Kekez (FS) - 8-1
1. Shearer (FS) def. Kim (UA) - 7-6, 6-4
2. Krohn (FS) def. No. 84 Lloyd (UA) - 6-0, 6-1
3. Suta (FS) def. O'Grady (UA) - 6-3, 6-3
4. Matalonga (UA) def. Modoc (FS) - 6-1, 6-3
5. Andrus (UA) def. Cech (FS)- 6-4, 6-4
6. Warkentin (UA) def. Kekez (FS) - 6-4, 3-6, 6-1