Top-ranked Stanford Defeats No. 33 Arizona State 7-0
March 5, 2004
TEMPE, Ariz. - The No. 1 ranked and undefeated Stanford's women's tennis team continued its winning ways on Friday, extending its season record to 12-0 after sweeping Arizona State 7-0 at the Whiteman Tennis Center in Tempe, Ariz.
In singles competition, the Stanford lineup was just as strong. Liu, Barnes, Burdette and Barnikow all tallied straight-set victories. Theresa Logar battled back to win in three sets after dropping the first to Arizona State's Sabrina Capannolo. Anderson also rallied to win in three sets, defeating Lauren Colalillo 2-6, 6-2, 7-5.
Stanford next heads to Tucson, Ariz., to take on the No. 31 Arizona Wildcats on March 6, at the Lanelle Robson Tennis Center at Noon.
Stanford 7, Arizona State 0
1. Amber Liu (STAN) def. Joslynn Burkett (ASU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Alice Barnes (STAN) def. Wendy Pilecka (ASU) 7-5, 6-2
3. Erin Burdette (STAN) def. Vana Tomas (ASU) 6-3, 6-1
4. Lauren Barnikow (STAN) def. Cindy Sureephong (ASU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Theresa Logar (STAN) def. Sabrina Capannolo (ASU) 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (5)
6. Emilia Anderson (STAN) def. Lauren Colalillo (ASU) 2-6, 6-2, 7-5
1. Barnikow/Burdette (STAN) def. Colalillo/Pilecka (ASU) 8-1
2. Barnes/Liu (STAN) def. Sureephong/Burkett (ASU) 8-5
3. Anderson/Yelsey (STAN) def. Capannolo/Pooler (ASU) 8-2
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 3/30 | 6:00pm PTLive