Arizona Men's Tennis Cruises Past San Diego, 6-1
March 7, 2004
TUCSON, Ariz. - The No. 34 Arizona men's tennis team easily handled No. 31 San Diego, Sunday, March 7. Arizona once again controlled the match early by winning the doubles point and kept the momentum going through to the singles where they won five of the six singles points. Arizona improves to 8-4 with the victory, while USD falls to 5-3.
In doubles, Robbie Blair and Mirza Koristovic won the first doubles point to finish, when they defeated senior Tim Mullane and Whi Kim, 8-3, on court three. On court one, the No. 27 ranked team of junior Colin O'Grady and sophomore Roger Matalonga handled Nic Beuque and Oscar Plotnik easily, winning 8-4. To secure the doubles point for Arizona, junior Paul Warkentin and sophomore Daniel Andrus battled Jason Pongrsikul and Matt Ozurovich, winning, 9-7, in the No. 2 slot.
It was more of the same for Arizona in the singles matches. No. 66 Matalonga played in the top-position for the first time in his career and he defeated No. 83 Pongsrikul in straight sets, 6-1, 6-4. Lloyd who was playing despite an injured groin, earned a victory over Beuque, 6-1, 7-6 (4). O'Grady improved to 13-8 with his win over Koristovic, 6-4, 6-4. Andrus continued his dominance this spring by improving to 13-5 by defeating Jeff Das, 6-1, 6-2, in the No. 5 position. Since the match was already clinched for the Wildcats and Warkentin split his first two sets against Ozurovich, the match was decided by a third set, super-tiebreaker. Warkentin earned the victory, 6-4, 3-6, 10-7.
On court two, Kim fell in his first appearance in the No. 2 position this year to Blair, 7-6 (2), 6-3, giving USD its lone point of the day.
Arizona will travel to Los Angeles next to face UCLA. First serve is set for 1:30 p.m.
1. No. 27 Matalonga/O'Grady (UA) def. Beuque/Plotnik (USD) - 8-4
2. Andrus/Warkentin (UA) def. Pongsrikul/Ozurovich (USD) - 9-7
3. Blair/Koristovic (USD) def. Mullane/Kim (UA) - 8-3
1. No. 66 Matalonga (UA) def. No. 83 Pongsrikul (USD) - 6-1, 6-4
2. Blair (USD) def. Kim (UA) - 7-6 (2), 6-3
3. Lloyd (UA) def. Beuque (USD) - 6-1, 7-6 (4)
4. O'Grady (UA) def. Koristovic (USD) - 6-4, 6-4
5. Andrus (UA) def. Das (USD) - 6-1, 6-2
6. Warkentin (UA) def. Ozurovich (USD) - 6-4, 3-6, 10-7
TODAY | 11:00am PTLive
TODAY | 1:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 3:00pm PTLive