Women Upset Fifth-Ranked Tar Heels, 4-3
March 9, 2004
LOS ANGELES - The 11th-ranked USC women's tennis team extended its win streak to four with a 4-3 upset of fifth-ranked North Carolina on Tuesday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium. The Women of Troy's (8-3) victory put an end to the Tar Heels' (12-2) eight-match win streak and handed the team only its second loss of the season.
The afternoon began with a Trojan victory at No. 3 doubles as Judy DeVera and Melissa Esmero beat Jenna Long and Sara Anundsen, 8-4. After dropping the match at No. 2, USC earned the doubles point with a hard-fought victory at center court. Luana Magnani and Carine Vermeulen defeated the Tar Heels' Aniela Mojzis and Kendall Cline in the tiebreaker, 9-8 (7-5), to give USC a 1-0 lead.
Magnani, who beat two higher ranked opponents last week, continued her streak by upsetting 16th-ranked Mojzis, 6-4, 6-0, at the No. 1 spot to begin singles play. North Carolina responded by winning in two sets at No. 6 for its first point of the afternoon, but it was too late for the Tar Heels to gain any momentum.
Dianne Matias beat Caitlin Collins at court four, 6-2, 6-4, and Anca Anastasiu defeated Kendall Cline, 6-4, 6-2, at the No. 3 position to clinch the match for the Women of Troy. With the match decided, the Tar Heels collected victories at the two remaining positions in three sets.
USC resumes Pac-10 play this week when it travels to face Arizona State and Arizona on Friday, March 12, and Saturday, March 13.
#11 USC 4, #5 North Carolina 3
(1) #14 Magnani/Vermeulen (USC) def. #29 Mojzis/Cline (UNC) - 9-8(7-5
(2) Collins/Bunn (UNC) def. Anastasiu/Matias (USC) - 8-4
(3) DeVera/Esmero (USC) def. Anundsen/Long (UNC) - 8-2
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #23 Luana Magnani (USC) def. #16 Aniela Mojzis (UNC) - 6-4, 6-0
(2) Lee Bairos (UNC) def. #89 Carine Vermeulen (USC) - 6-4, 2-6, 10-7
(3) Anca Anastasiu (USC) def. #81 Kendall Cline (UNC) - 6-4, 6-2*
(4) Dianne Matias (USC) def. Caitlin Collins (UNC) - 6-2, 6-4
(5) Sara Anundsen (UNC) def. Judy DeVera (USC) - 2-6, 6-4, 10-4
(6) Kendrick Bunn (UNC) def. Bernadette Bayani (USC) - 6-2, 6-2
* match clinching point
Order of finish: 1, 6, 4, 3, 5, 2
- GO SC -