Men's Tennis Falls To 10th-Ranked Duke, 6-1
March 11, 2004
LOS ANGELES - The fourth-ranked USC men's tennis team (8-2) endured its first loss in over a month, and only its second of the season, as it fell to 10th-ranked Duke, 6-1, on Thursday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium. The loss ended the Trojans' six-match win streak and gave the Blue Devils (11-4) their sixth-straight victory, which included a win over UCLA on Wednesday.
'We learned a very tough lesson today and hopefully it will help us in future matches,' said USC head coach Peter Smith. 'We have to bounce back from this because we have two more tough matches this week.'
To start the afternoon, the Trojans fell in order and surrendered the doubles point. Duke swept on all three courts, winning 8-6 and 8-5 at Nos. 1 and 2, and coming from behind to win 9-7 on court three. USC's Ruben Torres and Parker Collins played a great match against the Blue Devils' Stephen Amritraj (the cousin of former USC standout Prakash Amritraj) and Peter Rodrigues at the No. 3 spot, but the pair let it slip away despite two shots at match point.
USC's troubles only got worse in singles as the Trojans dropped the first set on five of six courts. In took little time for the Blue Devils to collect the necessary three wins and secure the match. Duke posted two-set victories on courts three, one and six, in that order, to take a match-clinching 4-0 lead. Drew Hoskins collected the Trojans first and only point at No. 5 by defeating Jason Zimmerman, 7-6, 6-3.
The Trojans continue their three-match homestand, hosting Arizona State on Friday, March 12, and Arizona on Saturday, March 13. Both matches will be played at Marks Stadium and will begin at 1:30 p.m. and 1 p.m., respectively.
#10 Duke 6, #4 USC 1
(1) #4 Zimmermann/Walter (Duke) def. Berg/Biasella (USC) - 8-6
(2) #9 King/Stokke (Duke) def. #12 Hoskins/Langre (USC) - 8-5
(3) Stephen Amritraj/Rodrigues (Deke) def. Parker Collins/Torres (USC) - 9-7
Duke wins doubles point.
(1) #11 Phillip King (Duke) def. #25 Adriano Biasella (USC) - 6-0, 6-2
(2) #7 Ludovic Walter (Duke) def. #56 Johan Berg (USC) - 6-1, 1-6, 7-6 (9-7)
(3) Peter Rodrigues (Duke) def. #53 Jamil Al-Agba (USC) - 6-1, 6-1
(4) Jonathan Stokke (Duke) def. Ruben Torres (USC) - 2-6, 7-5, 10-8
(5) #80 Drew Hoskins (USC) def. Jason Zimmerman (Duke) - 7-6, 6-3
(6) Christopher Brown (Duke) def. Daniel Langre (USC) - 6-3, 6-2
* Match clinching point.
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 6, 4, 5, 2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 1:30pm PTLive