No. 20 Men's Tennis Falls To No. 4 USC, 7-0
March 12, 2004
Los Angeles, Calif. - The No. 20 Arizona State men's tennis team opened up Pac-10 play on Friday afternoon at the Marks Tennis Center, suffering a crushing defeat to No. 4 USC, 7-0. The Sun Devils are now 4-6 overall and 0-1 in the Pac-10, while the Trojans improve to 9-2 overall and 2-0 in conference play.
The Sun Devils were unable to grab the early lead, surrendering all three doubles matches to the Trojans. The No. 1 duo of Chris Stewart (Sr., Adelaide, Australia) and Andy Colombo (Jr., Rochester, N.Y.) were defeated, 8-5, by the Trojans' pair of Johan Berg and Adriano Biasella. The team of Clinton Letcher (Jr., Melbourne, Australia) and Jonathan Kinsella (So., Astley, England) fell to the No. 12 duo of Drew Hoskins and Daniel Langre, 8-4, at the No. 2 doubles position. Winning the third doubles match on the afternoon, the Trojans' pair of Parker Collins and Ruben Torres overcame ASU's Daniel Davies (So., Sydney, Australia) and Ryan McBride (So., Tempe, Ariz.), 8-4.
In singles action, the Sun Devils were not able to get anything going, as they relinquished all six matches to USC. At the No. 4 position, Kinsella was downed by Torres, 6-2, 6-1, while at the No. 1 spot, No. 93 Stewart was defeated, 6-3, 6-4, by No. 25 Biasella. To clinch the victory for the Trojans, No. 56 Berg upended Colombo, 7-5, 6-1, to win the match at No. 2 singles.
The Sun Devils Letcher was able to push his match at No. 3 singles to three sets before eventually falling to No. 53 Jamil Al-Agba, 6-1, 5-7, 6-4.
The Sun Devils return to action on Saturday, March 13 at 1:00 p.m., taking on the No. 8 UCLA Bruins at the Los Angeles Tennis Center.
No. 4 USC 7, No. 22 ASU 0
1. Berg/Biasella (USC) def. Stewart/Colombo (ASU) 8-5
2. #12 Hoskins/Langre (USC) def. Kinsella/Letcher (ASU) 8-4
3. Parker Collins/Torres (USC) def. Davies/Ryan McBride (ASU) 8-4
1. #25 Adriano Biasella (USC) def. #93 Chris Stewart (ASU) 6-3, 6-4
2. #56 Johan Berg (USC) def. Andy Colombo (ASU) 7-5, 6-1
3. #53 Jamil Al-Agba (USC) def. Clinton Letcher (ASU) 6-1, 5-7, 6-4
4. Ruben Torres (USC) def. Jonathan Kinsella (ASU) 6-2, 6-1
5. #80 Drew Hoskins (USC) def. Christopher Biro (ASU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Daniel Langre (USC) def. Daniel Davies (ASU) 6-3, 6-2
Thu 5/25 | 6:00pm PTLive
Fri 5/26 | 10:30am PTLive
Fri 5/26 | 4:00pm PTLive