No. 25 Arizona Falls to No. 8 UCLA, 7-0
March 12, 2004
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The No. 25 Arizona men's tennis team were shutout by No. 8 UCLA, 7-0, Friday, March 12. The Bruins won two of the three doubles matches and swept the singles for the win. Arizona falls to 8-5 with the loss while UCLA improves to 10-5.
Unlike the previous engagement, Arizona was unable to earn the doubles point, winning only one match on court two. Junior Paul Warkentin and sophomore Daniel Andrus defeated Tobias Clemens and Chris Lam, 8-4. On court one, junior Colin O'Grady and sophomore Roger Matalonga fell to the No. 19 doubles team in the country, Alberto Francis and Kris Kwinta, 8-3. Senior Whi Kim and sophomore Tim Mullane teamed up again to form the No. 3 team and fell to Philipp Gruendler and Chris Surapol, 8-6.
In singles, UCLA swept all six matches. Matalonga forced No. 8 Clemens to a third set by winning the first set, 6-2, but ultimately lost the match, 2-6, 6-2, 6-2. On court two, senior Tom Lloyd fell to No. 52 Chris Lam, 6-1, 6-1. Andrus shut out No.98 Gruendler, 6-0, in the first set, but fell, 6-3, 6-2, in the next two sets.
Arizona will hit the courts again Saturday, March 13, when they travel across Los Angeles to face No. 4 USC. First serve is scheduled for 12:00 p.m.
1. (19) Francis/Kwinta (UCLA) def. Matalonga/O'Grady (UofA) 8-3
2. Andrus/Warkentin (UofA) def. Clemens/Lam (UCLA) 8-4
3. Gruendler/Surapol (UCLA) def. Kim/Tim Mullane (UofA) 8-6
1. (6) Tobias Clemens (UCLA) def. Roger Matalonga (UofA) 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
2. (52) Chris Lam (UCLA) def. Tom Lloyd (UofA) 6-1, 6-1
3. (36) Kris Kwinta (UCLA) def. Whi Kim (UofA) 6-3, 6-3
4. (95) Alberto Francis (UCLA) def. Colin O'Grady (UofA) 6-3, 6-2
5. (86) Philipp Gruendler (UCLA) def. Daniel Andrus (UofA) 0-6, 6-3, 6-2
6. Chris Surapol (UCLA) def. Paul Warkentin (UofA) 6-4, 6-1
Singles Order of Finish: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Thu 1/25 | 6:30pm PTLive